Give Now


For Students Who Have Applied

After you begin the application process, you may be contacted for a personal interview. Interviews for non-SMU students may be conducted by telephone. Shortly thereafter, you will be notified shortly of the admissions decision.

Review your online application to check your admission status.

If you are accepted into a program, you are required to complete and submit all post attend all program orientation sessions. 

SMU makes arrangements with a travel agency for group flights for some "SMU-in" programs. It is highly recommended that you travel with the group if group travel has been arranged. You will need to give the agent your name as it appears on your passport.

Most programs do not have group travel. If your program does not have a group flight, or if it does but you choose not to travel with your group, plan to arrive at the program and depart from the program in accordance with the published program dates. Inform your SMU Abroad Program Specialist and/or your program director(s) of your travel plans, whether or not you plan to travel with the group.

Airfare is not included in the price of most programs. If it is not included in the price of the program, you will make you own travel arrangements and pay the travel agency or airline directly. Be sure to check on the program brochure what is included and what is not included in the program fee.

For this and other airline travel questions, refer to your carrier's website for the most updated information. It used to be that you could check two pieces of luggage on international flights. However, airlines are now charging extra for checked bags. You may also be charged for the weight of your bags.

Typically, one piece of checked luggage may not be larger than 62 inches (length + width + height - not circumference.) You can usually take onto the plane one carry-on luggage that will fit in the overhead compartment and one small item (purse, computer bag, etc.) that will fit under the seat in front of you. It is advisable to pack your documents, valuables, essentials and a change of clothes in your carry-on luggage in case your bags do not arrive with you.

You will find that you do not need nearly as much as you think you do. Remember, porters are seldom available to help with your luggage, so plan to carry your own luggage at all times. If you can walk one mile and climb three flights of stairs carrying your luggage, then you have packed efficiently! 

Some program destinations require students to obtain a visa for entry into the country. Visa and other entry requirements vary from country to country. To find out if you will need a visa and what kind of visa, contact the program host institution or the website of the Consulate of the country where you will be going. If you are participating in an "SMU-in" program, you will receive information about how to apply for the visa from either an education abroad adviser or your program director.

To obtain a visa, you will either have to go to send your application materials and your passport to the Consulate or go to the Consulate in person. Nearly all countries affix the visa to one of the pages in your passport. 

Specific visa information and instructions will be discussed at a program orientation meeting. Please check the program brochure for country specific visa instructions. For some programs, you will need to show proof health insurance in order for a student visa to be issued. 

If you are a non-U.S. citizen, check the website of the Consulate of the country to which you are going to see the visa requirements for your nationality. In addition, please contact the SMU Office of International Student and Scholars Services to make sure you have completed all necessary paperwork to allow entry back into the U.S. at the conclusion of your program or when you return to campus.

Please click here to access information regarding health insurance. 

Some programs also have their own coverage. Below is a list of "SMU-in" programs that will include additional health insurance plans:

For Kwansei Gakuin University, Japan Exchange students: There is financial assistance for medical care available for you through the Association of International Education, Japan. Up to 80% of personal expense for medical care is reimbursable for diagnosis and treatment of covered illness. Additional health insurance coverage may be necessary. 

For SMU-in-Australia students: All international students (except those from Norway and Sweden) are required to purchase Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) with Medibank Private. You will learn more about this from your education abroad adviser.

For SMU-in-Copenhagen students: You will have comprehensive health and accident insurance coverage, including doctors' visits, hospitalization and prescriptions. You will be assigned an English-speaking family doctor near your housing. For more information on this coverage, including liability insurance, check the DIS website.

For more specific information, please check your program's website and discuss this with your SMU Abroad Advisor. 

Travel insurance is a good idea, but it is optional. If you decide to purchase it, make sure you know the terms of the insurance. Plans may cover compensation if you need to cancel your trip, lost and stolen luggage and even rescheduling reservations due to bad connections or weather.

Most airlines offer travel insurance option when you purchase your ticket. Travel agents can also advise on travel insurance. 

The International Student Identity Card (ISIC) provides student discounts for transportation, accommodations, museum entrances abroad, etc. abroad. In addition the card provides Travel Guard Assistance, and accidental medical, dental and dismemberment insurance, emergency evacuation, repatriation of remains, and passport replacement. More information is available at

SMU only requires the card for students going on the SMU-in-Spain (semester) program. Please submit one passport size photo to your SMU Abroad Advisor and a card will be secured on your behalf.

If you are going on another program and would like to purchase the card, apply for it on-line and well in advance of your departure date.