The Office of Research and Graduate Studies

Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences

Send an Inquiry to Dedman College Apply Now

Earth Sciences (Geology and Geophysics)
Medieval Studies
Religious Studies
Statistical Science
Women's and Gender Studies

Lyle School of Engineering

Send an Inquiry to Lyle Engineering Apply Now

Applied Science
Civil and Environmental Engineering
Civil Engineering
Computer Engineering
Computer Science and Engineering
Computer Science
Datacenter Systems Engineering            
Design and Innovation
Electrical Engineering
Engineering Management
Engineering Management and Information Systems
Environmental Engineering
Environmental Science
Manufacturing Systems Management
Mechanical Engineering
Operations Research
Security Engineering
Software Engineering
Sustainability and Development
Systems Engineering
Telecommunications and Network Engineering

Meadows School of the Arts

Send an Inquiry to Meadows Apply Now

Meadows School of the Arts (website)

Art History
Film and Media Studies
Arts Management and Arts Entrepreneurship

Guildhall/SMU in Legacy

Game Development M.I.T/Cert.

School of Education and Human Development

School of Education and Human Development (website)

Bilingual Education M.B.E.
Counseling M.S.
Dispute Resolution M.A.
Education Ph.D.,M.Ed., M.Ed.
Education Leadership M.Ed.
Educational Leadership – Higher Education M.Ed.
Educational Leadership - Urban Focus  M.Ed.
Graduate Liberal Studies D.L.S., M.L.S.
Sport Management M.S.

Cox School of Business

Cox School of Business (website)

Accounting M.S.
Business Administration M.B.A.
Finance M.S.
Master of Science in Entrepreneurship M.S.
Master of Science in Management M.S.

Dedman School of Law

Dedman School of Law (website)

Doctor of the Science of Law S.J.D.
Law/Business J.D./M.B.A..
Law/Economics J.D./M.A.
Master of Laws (General) LL.M.
Master of Laws in Comparative & International Law LL.M.
Master of Laws in Taxation LL.M.

Perkins School of Theology

Perkins School of Theology (website)

Christian Education C.M.M.
Divinity M.Div.
Ministry D.Min.
Sacred Music M.S.M.
Theological Studies M.T.S.
Urban Ministry C.M.M


You are required to have a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in the United States or proof of equivalent training at a foreign university.  All applicants must have adequate subject preparation in the chosen major field.  This includes having at least 12 semester hours of advanced study in the chosen field, a 3.0 overall grade-point average, and a satisfactory score on the GRE.  After an application is complete, ultimate approval for admission to graduate study is given by the Dean of Research & Graduate Studies on the recommendation of the department.

Application Procedure

General Requirements:

  1. Complete the online application form (  All questions must be answered with correct information.
  2. A $75 application fee is collected online.
  3. Unofficial transcripts are accepted during the application phase. Upon admission, send official transcripts, certified and translated if from a foreign institution, directly from each school of higher education you have attended.  When sending an electronic transcript, please note that SMU will only accept electronic transcripts sent from the transferable institution via a secure means (e.g., Scrip-Safe, NSC).  We will not accept electronic transcripts sent by students. Send electronic transcripts to For physical mail, please find our mailing address here.
  4. Submit three letters of recommendation online. Select respondents who can attest to your academic ability. 
  5. Request the official scores for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) to be sent electronically to SMU (code 6660). Taking the GRE (within five years of application) is required for most graduate programs.  

Additional Requirements for International Students:

  1. International students applying from countries where English is not the native language are required to provide scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).  Teaching Assistants are required to show proficiency in spoken English by a satisfactory score on the TSE (Test of Spoken English) exam or passing English as a Second Language course after matriculation.  The score from the TWE can strengthen your application and provide an additional distinguishing measurement.  The TOEFL requirement will be waived for international students who have received a degree from a U.S. degree-granting university or institution. Test scores from IELTS are also accepted. *exception - MASDA applicants are required to provide a TOEFL or IELTS score.
  2. If admitted, foreign students must provide a Certification of Finance Form/Letter of Financial Backing as evidence of financial support.  This should represent that sufficient money will be available to the applicant to cover all expenses while at the University.  This letter may be signed by a parent or sponsor but must be certified by a bank.  The document must be notarized and on file before the process for visas and passport can proceed. (See last page for additional information regarding foreign applicants.)

Special Notes:

Psychology: The Statement of Purpose should include the names of two faculty members with whom the student would like to work.

Religious Studies: Final deadline is December 31.  No applications accepted after this deadline. Applicants need to identify a field of interest: Old Testament, Religion and Culture, Systematic Theology, Religious Ethics, New Testament, or Christian Tradition.

Applied Economics and Eco/Law: GRE general is waived with a 3.0 or higher GPA.

English, History and Religious Studies Departments require writing samples as part of the application.  The English Ph.D. requires a sample consisting of 15 or more pages on a literary topic. The History requirement is an essay, chapter, or some other substantial piece of historical writing. Religious Studies requires 10-20 pages of scholarly writing.

Statistical Science: International applicants applying to the MASDA program are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores. 

Financial Information:

Tuition fellowships and teaching and research assistantships are available from the departments.  These are awarded on a competitive basis for both merit and need.  Assistantships pay tuition and fees and can, in addition, pay stipends for designated work in the departments.  In most cases, the application for admission serves as the application for financial support.  Any additional information will be sent to the student from the departments, as decisions regarding assistantships will come directly from departments.


Admission ----- Only the Office of Research & Graduate Studies is authorized to notify the applicant of his or her acceptance to a graduate program in the University.  Applicants should not interpret any statement made in casual correspondence with any University faculty member to mean that he or she has been admitted.  Official notification will be sent through this office, signed by the Dean of Research & Graduate Studies.

Financial Obligations----- Students are responsible individually for their financial obligations to the University through the Office of the University Cashier, SMU, Dallas, Texas 75275, USA.  Questions regarding financial procedures at SMU should be taken up with the cashier's office.

Transfer Students----- Graduate students wishing to transfer to Southern Methodist University from another graduate school in the U.S. must have maintained a "B" average on all graduate work previously attempted, in addition to satisfying the other admission requirements of the University.

For International Students

Passports and Visas----- Before the international student may depart for SMU, both a passport and a visa are required.  The government of the student's home country is responsible for issuing the passport.  If the international student is accepted by Southern Methodist University, a letter of acceptance will be sent from the Graduate Office.  The SMU International Advisors’ Office will send an I-20 form (F-1 visa or J-1 visa) once the financial support has been verified.  It is important that the name on the application matches exactly the name on the student's passport. To meet U. S. government regulations, the international graduate student on the F-1 or J-1 visa must take at least nine semester hours each semester to qualify as a full-time student.

Health Insurance----- All international students must be covered by hospitalization insurance and must show proof of such insurance at the time of registration.  Coverage may be obtained individually or through the University for an annual fee. In addition, students purchasing this insurance are required to be eligible to use the Student Health Center, which may require an additional amount per semester.  Additional information about this requirement can be obtained through the International Advisors' Office -  Students will need to provide a record of immunizations on the SMU health form, which can be downloaded from . Please visit the Student Health Center website for current health insurance fees .

Living Accommodations----- Many international students live in University residence halls and in University operated apartments while some live in off-campus housing. 

Degrees from Foreign Universities----- International applicants who hold a bachelor's degree should not assume that these degrees will be automatically accepted in U.S. universities.  Decisions will be made on the academic standings of the institutions from which the applicant graduated.  Professional diplomas and higher certificates from technical or vocational schools are normally not considered as equal to a bachelor's degree.

Admission Deadlines for Dedman College

Applications for Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences

Final deadline for fall admission is May 1.
For departments that have spring admission, the final deadline is November 30.

Department Assistantships

All applications to be considered for department assistantships must be completed by the priority deadline of February 1. Applications received after the February 1 priority deadline will be considered for any unfilled openings. (see below for exceptions)


Anthropology: January 15
Biostatistics: January 1
Economics: January 15
English: January 15
History: December 1
Psychology: December 1
Religious Studies : December 31
Statistical Science (Ph.D. program) - January 1

Note: Applications received after February 1 will be considered for any remaining funds and openings.

Send an Inquiry to Dedman College Apply Now

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I get information on a specific degree program?

SMU is decentralized on the graduate level with six graduate schools and separate admissions offices for each school. After identifying the program or program(s) of interest, consult that specific school for information. Send an Inquiry

What are the requirements for application?

Application requirements vary by school and in some cases, by department. Consult the school/program of your interest for admissions information by school/program. Find the full list of programs here. 

What standardized tests are required for admission?

You are required to submit standardized test scores for admission to most, but not all, graduate programs at SMU. The particular test required varies by school and/or department. Please consult the school to which you wish to make application. Send an Inquiry

How do I apply? Can I apply online?

Application is made to the school or schools that house the program, and applications are specific to each school. For dual degree programs (J.D./M.B.A.) or Arts Administration /M.B.A. for example), the applicant applies to both schools. You may download applications from most schools through the Web, and some schools may have an online application. To view a list of graduate programs and schools, please click here.

I sent in my GRE/TOEFL score on [x] date.  Why isn't it showing up yet?

It does take some time for your test scores to be sent from ETS, and then for our graduate applications office to link your scores with your application.  If it has been more than two weeks since you requested your test scores to be sent to SMU and they are still not showing up in your application checklist, you can email to inquire about the status.  If your scores or transcripts are under a different name, that also might cause a delay, and it is helpful for you to email and make sure we have both you old and new names.  Please note that SMU is closed for the holidays from approximately Christmas Eve to New Year's Day, which causes an additional delay around that period.  

I have a degree from an institution in an English-speaking country.  Can the TOEFL requirement be waived?

Yes it can.  Unfortunately our application system does not note the waiver automatically, but you can email and ask that the waiver be applied to your application.  

What forms of financial aid exist for graduate students?

Applicants may be considered for scholarships or assistantships based on the merit of their application and on need. These decisions are made as part of the admissions process, which is defined by each school. To apply for a loan, contact Enrollment Services.

How can I arrange for a campus visit?

You can arrange a campus visit through Enrollment Services, or by contacting the department to which you will be applying.

Each school determines its own admission criteria. Applicants must apply directly to the appropriate graduate admissions office of the school which they wish to attend and send their official transcripts and scores on tests such as the GRE, LSAT, and GMAT to that school. Some schools admit non-degree students in specific programs; others allow non-degree students to audit classes.

This page serves as resource for admission information by college. View a complete listing of graduate programs, here.