The mission of Student Activities is to advise and support student organizations and to encourage student development through involvement.
2012-13 DEPARTMENTAL HIGHLIGHTS
This was our first full year as Student Activities. We moved past the initial steps of developing a department and began new initiatives, roles, and adjusted our focus. Specifically, we accomplished the following goals:
- Secured the purchase of Collegiate Link – a computer program that will change and improve all departmental services and communication efforts.
- Added a Student Activities Advisor Newsletter to provide additional resources and information to our advisors.
- Hosted or advised 3 of the 4 most attended programs in the first 6 weeks of school.
- Produced University awards ceremonies Dorothy Amann & Awards Extravaganza
- Administrative Assistant Lydia Dale was recognized by SMU for her 30 years of service in the Department of Student Activities.
- Student Foundation hosted traditional events including Mane Event, Family Weekend, Homecoming and Celebration of Lights.
- Program Council had an especially productive year and was tapped to produce a portion of the Bush Block Party in addition to highly successful Sing Song, Block Party and Park’nParty.
- Relay for Life earned charter status and won Top 5 Awards in the High Plains Division, including: Top Fundraising Team, Top Individual Fundraiser, Top Collegiate/Youth Event
- Launched a Student Activities presence on Facebook and Twitter to better communicate with students.
- When school is in session, we are short-staffed. We would benefit greatly from a graduate assistant.
- Implementation of the new Collegiate Link system is positive, yet extremely time consuming.
- Moving the Use of Grounds process from Facilities Services to Student Activities.
- Launch Orgs@SMU program.
- Facilitate successful transition to and utilization of the Orgs@SMU program.
- Enhance training for student organizations and provide additional resources in leadership development and organization operations. Specific focus will be given to the areas of working with vendors, involvement fair success, and stress management.
- Secure a Graduate Assistant
Exemplary Division of Student Affairs
- Utilize Orgs@SMU and Baseline to enhance departmental assessment.
- Get involved in planning of QuickSAND Student Activities drive-in conference. Propose SMU as a host site.