Friday Update Procedures
The purpose of the Friday Update is to inform students about events in the upcoming week they can attend.
Events that are the best fit for the Friday Update are:
• Free to attend
• Do not require reservations any earlier than the Friday before
• Of interest to many or most students
• Social in nature
To submit your event for consideration in the Friday Update, create an event through your organization's portal on Connect.SMU and select the audience as "Public" or "Campus Only."
Events in the Friday Update must be:
• Open to all students, including graduate and undergraduate, in all class years
• Occurring in the next week
• Sponsored by a SMU student organization or university department
The Friday Update will not include:
• Announcements for job postings, applications, surveys, etc.
• Events that require signup earlier than the publishing of the Friday Update
• General member meetings
• Recurring events
• Events missing necessary information, like time, date, location
• Events that do not adhere to the Student Code of Conduct, SMU Policy, and Student Affairs Event Guidelines.
The Friday Update will be published throughout the fall and spring semesters, with the following exceptions:
• University holidays
• No class (i.e. Spring Break)
• Before the last partial week of the semester
In order to produce a Friday Update that is eye-catching and interesting, Student Involvement may:
• Group like events together
• Place Tier 1 or 2 events near the top of the email
• Limit the number of events to avoid excessive length
• Prioritize student organization events over departmental events
• Edit event descriptions for length and clarity
To increase the likelihood that your event is included in the Friday Update, keep your description brief and interesting! Do not list the time, date, or location as that information is available elsewhere in your event listing.
Many advertising opportunities are available in addition to the Friday Update:
• Post your event on Connect. There are 11,000+ engaged users!
• West Bridge banners
• Commons banners
• Digital signage
• HTSC bulletin boards
Questions? Contact Lauren Chapman at firstname.lastname@example.org.