The SMU Pom Squad is a select group of young ladies that all share a love of dancing and SMU! The Pom Squad is well known for their energetic performances and their ability to entertain a crowd. The dancing style of the team includes jazz, pom and hip hop. The Pom Squad performs on the sidelines and at halftime of all home football games and travels to some away games. They also perform at all men's and women's basketball games. SMU Pom also attends NDA College Nationals in Daytona, Florida each year where they recently placed third in the competitive pom division. This squad also won a national title in the Division IA Open Dance category in 2006, 2008 and 2009. This group of girls is committed to bringing spirit and excitement to the campus of SMU and we look forward to seeing you at a football and basketball game soon! PONY UP!
SMU POM SQUAD TRYOUTS 2019-2020
If you are interested in auditioning for the 2019-2020 SMU Pom team, video submissions are currently being accepted. You must be committed to SMU and will need to send the following audition material by Saturday, June 9, 2019.
VIDEO SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS:
- All tryout materials must arrive by Saturday, June 9, 2019
- Tryout Application – Click HERE to download
- A physical performed by an MD or DO in the past six months
- $50 application fee - Cash or check made out to "SMU Spirit"
- A full body photo of yourself in half top and bootie shorts
- Copy of your SMU Acceptance letter or print out of your class schedule for Fall 2019 if you are a current SMU student
- Copy of medical insurance card
- TWO (2) letters of recommendation (one MUST be from a dance team director or studio director and include their contact information)
- Your video must be emailed to email@example.com and be received by Saturday, June 9, 2019
- Video must include the following:
- Short introduction of yourself
- A la seconde Turns: Minimum 2 eight-count turn combination of your choice & must be to the right
- Leap/Jump Variation: Can be performed on either side (Ex. Switch-Tilt, Switch-Reverse-Jete, Switch-Leap, Switch-Center, Etc.) and must include a toe touch and turning disc.
- Triple pirouette – Right and left
- Leg extensions, high kicks (right and left), and leg hold turn – either side
- Jazz combination of your choice: Minimum 8-8 counts and should highlight strong technique and performance quality
- Hip-hop Combination of your choice: minimum 5- 8 counts
- Pom combination of your choice: minimum 5 – 8 counts
- Any advanced skills that you have: headspring, aerial, kip-up, etc.
Mandatory Summer Practices and College Dance Camp:
If you are selected for the 2019-2020 squad please note the dates below.
- Practices - July 15-19
- NDA College Camp hosted at SMU - July 20-22
All members will be required to receive and pass their physical by the SMU Training Room prior to participating in practices and camp. This date will be announced after tryouts.
If selected for the 2019-2020 SMU Pom squad these practices and camp are mandatory unless prior written approval has been given by Tiffany Fettinger.
For additional information about SMU Pom Squad, please contact Tiffany Fettinger at 214-768-1500 or firstname.lastname@example.org.