The Office of Social Change and Intercultural Engagement (OSCIE) is excited to introduce its Community Action Network (CAN), a student’s one stop shop to find volunteer opportunities, meet with and learn from a peer Student Coordinator and track completed direct service hours. Additionally, the Community Action Network will serve as the primary location for community partners and nonprofit organizations to post volunteer opportunities, edit and update organization information and engage with the SMU community.
What does this mean for Community Partners and Nonprofit Organizations?
There is a new way to keep our records up to date with your information AND an updated process to post your volunteer opportunities. Here’s how it works:
- Please make sure to have a Community Partner Information form on file with. Even if you have an existing relationship with our department, it is important that you fill this form out so that we have the most current and up to date information and volunteer opportunities for your organization.
- Post your direct service opportunities for SMU students, faculty and staff
- The more we know about your organization, the better we are able to direct students, student groups or organizations to you. After submitting the Community Partner Information form, you will receive a confirmation stating it has been received. Afterwards, you will receive a follow-up call or e-mail from one of our staff members or Student Coordinators, where they will gather a bit more information, set up a site visit and gain a better understanding of your organization's goals and mission, for us to serve you better.
- Due to the volume of requests for volunteers that we get, we serve primarily as an information bank for our students. The more we know about your organization and the volunteer opportunities, the better we are able to make a “match” or direct the opportunity to an appropriate student, student group or organization. We provide information about organizations and opportunities to students, and it’s up to them to contact you directly to arrange the volunteer work. We’re unable to guarantee any volunteers, but we do our best to promote the opportunities to our students.
- We send out a weekly Volunteer ListSERV(E), too. Remember, in order to be featured on the weekly Volunteer List(SERVE), you must have a current Community Partner Information Form on file with our office.