At SMU, our residential facilities feature a variety of room types and shared bathroom styles along with these common features:
- Common areas for study and social activities
- Computer Connections via Ethernet and Wireless Connections
- 24-Hour Exterior Card Access System
- All residential facilities are co-ed
- Air Conditioned
- Laundry Rooms with Washers & Dryers
- Microwave Ovens Available in the building
- Smoke-Free: Smoking is NOT permitted in any University building
- Resident Assistant and Residential Community Director residence life staff
- Rooms are furnished with bed, dresser, desk and desk chair per occupancy
- Carpeted Rooms
Incoming first-year students are assigned to one of the 11 Residential Commons: Armstrong, Boaz, Cockrell-McIntosh, Crum, Kathy Crow, Loyd, Mary Hay/Peyton/Shuttles, McElvaney, Morrison-McGinnis, Virginia-Snider and Ware. All RCs have a Faculty in Residence as well as a classroom for the RC.
Incoming transfer students may be assigned to one of the Residential Commons or may be assigned to upper division housing
Upper division housing options for juniors and seniors include: Dyer House, Moore, , Perkins, Smith, SMU Service House. Rising sophomores may also be assigned to upper division housing, pending availability.