Frequently Asked Questions
If your question isn't answered here, please email us at email@example.com
Am I guaranteed housing next year?
- Yes, if you are living in a Residential Commons or upper division community, BUT you must reapply in February in order to participate in room selection. If you apply after the February 10th deadline, we will assign you pending space availability.
Do I have to live in an RC as a sophomore? Are there other RLSH facilities where I can live?
- Rising sophomores may request to live in Upper Division housing including Daniel Two (one bedroom apartment with two roommates), Perkins and Smith (doubles, some singles) or the SMU Service House (interview required) or Multicultural Greek House (must be approved). Space is limited.
Can I live in my Greek house as a sophomore?
- Yes, if your sorority or fraternity chapter has space for you to live there. You must still complete the housing Reapplication in order to process the request and meet the on-campus residency requirement. You will also need to complete any paperwork your chapter requires such as a sublease or other housing agreement and provide a copy of to RLSH.
Can I move to a different commons for next year?
- Most students will remain in their residential commons for next year, with a limited opportunity to select a room in a different community. Assignment to a different commons is typically requested when roommates are not in the same commons this year.
If my roommate and I live in different communities now, can we request each other?
- Roommates from different communities must be willing to be moved out of their community and both may be moved by RLSH to another residential commons to accommodate the request. In this scenario, both roommates need to be willing to "give up" their current commons and must request this option on the housing application. See Roommate in Different Commons for more information.
Can I request more than one roommate?
- There is a limit of ONE valid/ mutual roommate request. The maximum room occupancy at SMU is two roommates in a double room.
Can I move off-campus as a sophomore? If I’m from Dallas, can I request to live at home my sophomore year?
- Typically if you lived on-campus your first-year, you are required to live on-campus again.
Do I have to have a dining plan?
- Residents in the Residential Commons must have a dining plan.
- Second year (sophomore) residents must have "The Works" dining plan. For dining purposes, "sophomore" is determined by the number of years a student has lived on-campus, not by credit hours. Generally speaking, if you are required to live on-campus for two years, you must have a "The Works" plan during those two years.
- Junior and senior students may select from additional dining plans.
- Residents in Perkins and Smith are required to have a plan with the same guidelines as if living in an RC.
- Residents in upper division apartment style housing (Moore, Daniel Two) and in the Service and Multicultural Houses may sign up for a dining plan, but it is not required.
How do I request an accommodation for a disability?
- RLSH works with the Disability Accommodations & Success Strategies (DASS) office regarding disability accommodation in housing. To establish eligibility for accommodation, students must contact DASS and submit required documentation. DASS works with students with learning disabilities, physical disability, psychiatric disorders and others. To request accommodation in housing, students must indicate the request when applying for housing in addition to establishing eligibility with DASS.
- Students with a current accommodation will receive information regarding how this affects their reapplication and room selection.
- Requests for a disability accommodation must be completed by February 5th in order to be considered during the reapplication period. DASS will review and make recommendations according to the standard process. Requests received after February 5th are processed and considered as available during the summer.
Can I study abroad and get housing?
- Yes, if you are studying abroad this coming Fall semester, be sure to apply for Spring 2019 housing before you leave. Your room assignment will be made towards the end of the Fall semester.
What if I’m studying abroad in the Spring?
- If you lived with us in the Fall, be sure to let us know before you leave that you want to participate in Reapplication and Room Selection for the following year. We will send instruction on how to participate while abroad.
Can I apply for housing if I'm off-campus now?
- Yes, current undergraduates may apply beginning after Spring Break. Please contact RLSH for information on how you can apply!
Can I live in Martin?
- Martin is reserved for seniors and graduate students, and space is VERY limited. Seniors may request Martin during housing reapplication.
Is there housing for Graduate students next year?
- Yes, Grad House and in Martin. Space is limited. Please contact RLSH for information on how to apply.