Residence Life & Student Housing

For Transfer Students

University policy requires transfer students who are under the age of 20 to live on-campus their first year at SMU. Information about how to apply is sent to all incoming transfers students after paying their University deposit.

New transfer students may indicate their housing preference for Residential Commons assignment or Upperclass housing assignment when applying. Upperclass housing includes the communities of Dyer, Moore, Smith, Perkins and the Service House.

For transfer students interested in making service learning a part of their university living and learning experience are encouraged to consider applying for the SMU Service House.  The 28 upper-class residents who live in the Service House are involved in 30 hours of community service each semester. This house is a close-knit community with an active House Council who plan house dinners, improve facilities and plan a wide variety of service opportunities. Service projects are chosen based on the interests of the residents and range from working with a homeless shelter to literacy programs. Residents must go through an interview process and sign the Service House Agreement as well as complete the Housing application and license agreement. Contact RLSH for further information about requirements and application process.