Dallas, TX has a very different allergen panel than many other parts of the U.S. Your body might not be used to the pollen in this new environment and you may experience an allergic reaction, even if you have never experienced allergies before.
In fact, Dallas ranks #1 in the top 5 worst cities for overall allergen sensitization according to the Quest Diagnostics 2011 Allergen Report.
Prepare your dorm room for when allergies hit with your own allergy kit. Include items like:
- Over-the-counter allergy medication like Flonase, Zyrtech, or Benadryl.
- Anti-allergen mattress cover
- Anti-allergen pillow cases
- Disinfectant wipes
- HEPA filter
When you are starting to experience allergies be sure to:
- Visit the SMU pharmacy for over-the-counter allergy medication (antihistamines, eye drops, decongestant)
- Limit your outside exposure when pollen levels are high
- Wipe down your dorm room with disinfectant and vacuum to remove any excess pollen
- Try using a HEPA filter to keep the air in your room free from pollen
- If you are still feeling sick, schedule an appointment at the SMU Health Center