Advanced Placement Program* Summer Institute
Pre-AP* Math for High School Teachers (Geometry/Trig focus), July 22-25, 2013
Lead Consultant: Melissa Burkhead
What to Bring
- Thirty copies of a favorite lesson or activity to share
- Two tests given during the last school year
- Graphing calculator
- Ruler and compass
- Post-it notes
- Colored pencils
- Laptop computer
- Favorite math t-shirt for "Wear Your Favorite Math Shirt Day" on Thursday
Materials participants will receive at the institute:
- A notebook chocked full of ready to use strategies and Pre-AP* activities, along with a key
- Electronic access to this notebook and dynamic mathematics files that could be used in class presentations
Participants will explore the most current perspectives of Pre-AP* High School Mathematics. Connecting algebraic and geometric thinking in Pre-AP* Geometry, the course will apply materials from Pre-AP* Algebra I and look at concepts covered in Pre-AP* Algebra II and Pre-AP* Pre-Calculus in preparation for AP* Calculus and AP* Statistics. An introduction to trigonometry in Pre-AP* geometry will be explored in order for students to be confident when it is encountered in depth in Pre-AP* Pre-Calculus. Teachers who want to inject their classroom with energizing and thought provoking construction of mathematics are encouraged to attend this institute.
Topics will include the following:
- The rule of four, limits, sequences, rate of change, functions, area under a curve, trigonometry, geometric means, construction, areas of plane figures, areas and volumes of solids, coordinate geometry and transformations
- Using manipulatives to develop geometric concepts before rigorous application
- Assessment in geometry. Connecting geometric proof with the Pre-AP* idea of justifying your answer and answering the question, What makes my geometry test Pre-AP*?
- Dynamic geometry constructions, explorations with TI-Nspire CAS graphing calculators and extensions in geometry textbook samples
- Implications of the use of technology in Pre-AP* Geometry
About Melissa Burkhead
Melissa Burkhead has 20 years of experience teaching secondary students. She currently teaches Pre-AP* Geometry, Pre-AP* Precalculus, and BC Calculus at Trinity Valley School in Fort Worth, Texas, and she also chairs the department. Her varied experiences include teaching in Mexico City, Mexico, the El Paso public schools, Austin’s magnet school program and the Episcopal school system. Ms. Burkhead moderates the online courses, “Teaching Geometry with The Geometer’s Sketchpad” and “Teaching Algebra with The Geometer’s Sketchpad,” for Key Curriculum Press. She has presented at numerous AP* Conferences and most recently represented The College Board with a special AP* Calculus focus in Abu Dhabi, U.A.E. and Bogotá, Colombia. She holds a BA in mathematics and political science from Georgetown College and a MA in education (mathematics specialty) from The University of Texas at El Paso.
2012 Participant Testimonials
"Melissa Burkhead is a phenomenal example of who all teachers should aspire to emulate--GREATNESS."
"Exceeded expectations. Melissa was very dynamic in her presentation style and adapted to the class needs/wants/interests."
"Session was informative and materials were great. I'm going home with numerous new strategies I can use in my curriculum."
* Advanced Placement Program and AP are registered trademarks of the College Board and have been used with permission.