Senior Data Analyst
Center on Research and Evaluation
Ph.D., Hacettepe University
6116 N. Central Expressway, Suite 400
Dr. Yusuf Kara is serving as a Senior Data Analyst at the Center on Research and Evaluation (CORE). He is primarily responsible for designing quantitative models and conducting advanced data analyses. Prior to joining Southern Methodist University, he served as a research Assistant at Anadolu and Middle East Technical universities in Turkey. During his scholar activities, he engaged in various research projects in the fields of education and human development, and taught introductory data analysis courses. Dr. Kara received his PhD in educational measurement and evaluation from Hacettepe University in Turkey.
Dr. Kara`s research interests primarily focus on advanced psychometric methods such as multilevel item response modeling, structural equation modeling and latent class analysis. He is also interested in the applications of Bayesian methods in educational and behavioral sciences for more effective research outcomes. In his dissertation, Dr. Kara proposed a Bayesian estimation method for extended multilevel item response model with heterogeneous within-group variances. He is currently working on research projects that are related to mediation of within-subject change and measurement of oral reading fluency through a psychometric model based on speed and accuracy outcomes. Dr. Kara is an affiliate with the SMU Data Science Institute.
- Gillespie Rouse, A., Kiuhara, S. A, & Kara, Y. (2021). Writing to learn in elementary classrooms: A national survey of U.S. teachers. Reading and Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal. Published online first.
- Kara, Y. & Kamata, A. (2020). Bayesian modeling of multilevel item response model with heterogeneous within-cluster variances. Journal of Experimental Education. Published online first.
- Kara, Y., Kamata, A., Potgieter, C. J., & Nese, J. F. T. (2020). Estimating model-based oral reading fluency: A Bayesian approach. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 80(5), 847-869.
- Kamata, A., Kara, Y., Patarapichayatham, C., & Lan, P. (2018). Evaluation of analysis approaches for two-part mixture growth model. Frontiers in Psychology, 9(130).
- Kalkan, Ö. K., Kara, Y., & Kelecioğlu, H. (2018). Evaluating performance of missing data imputation methods in IRT analyses. International Journal of Assessment Tools in Education, 5(3), 403-416.
- Kara, Y. & Kamata, A. (2017). Parameter recovery for the 1-P HGLLM with non-normally distributed level-3 residuals. Educational Sciences: Theory & Practice, 17(4), 1165-1177.