It is critical that anyone who has experienced sexual assault find safety and seek medical attention immediately. See "Medical care" for more information.
Students also are urged to report a sexual assault to police as soon as possible, 911 or 214-768-3333, or pick up a blue-light phone on campus.
- Sexual assault is a crime punishable under Texas law by imprisonment. Sexual assault also is a violation of the federal law Title IX and of SMU's Title IX Sexual Harassment policy. See "Report to police" and "Sexual assault and consent" for more information.
Please know that sexual assault can happen to anyone and is never the victim’s fault.
If you are a victim, please know that you are not alone. SMU resources are available to help and discuss your options. You can choose the resources you are most comfortable contacting.
- SMU Police (for emergency help or criminal reporting), 214-768-3333 (available 24/7)
- The Office of Violence Prevention & Support Services (for support and information about options), 214-768-4512
- SMU Counseling Services (for confidential counseling), 214-768-2277 (an emergency contact is provided at all hours)
- SMU Title IX Coordinator (for internal grievance information and reporting), 214-768-3601
Learn more about campus and community resources.
In case of dating violence, domestic violence or stalking
As in cases of sexual assault, the first priority for victims of dating violence or domestic violence is to get to a place of safety and obtain medical attention and a forensic exam that preserves evidence. Victims of domestic violence, dating violence or stalking also are urged to contact police as soon as possible.
Victims of violence or stalking also should save evidence such as any letters, emails, phone calls, videos, photos, texts, social media postings, computer screenshots, voicemails or other evidence that may be helpful in obtaining a protective order or pursuing criminal charges.
In addition to the SMU resources listed above, community and national resources include:
- Genesis Women's Shelter in Dallas, 214-946-4357
- The Family Place in Dallas, 214-941-1991
- Texas Council on Family Violence, 512-794-1133
- National Domestic Violence Hotline, 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
- Stalking Resource Center, 855-4-VICTIM (855-484-2846)
In other cases of sexual misconduct
Resources are available in all cases of sexual misconduct, including sexual harassment. For more information, contact SMU’s Title IX Coordinator in the Office of Institutional Access and Equity; call 214-768-3601 or email email@example.com.