Faculty will have opportunities to be involved in the RC program through the Faculty in Residence (FiR). Some commons have Faculty Affiliate (FA) programs as well where faculty interact with the commons, faculty in residence, and student leaders through an affiliated role. Commons with an FA program engage and communicate differently. Contact a faculty in residence if you are interested in learning more about becoming a FIR or FA.
Faculty in Residence (FiR)
The FiR program strives to create opportunities for students to know faculty members outside of
the classroom to emphasize a culture of mentorship, intellectual discourse, and community that
are cultivated in all aspects of the collegiate experience inside and outside of the classroom. The
FiR role is a cornerstone of the residential life experience that creates opportunities for
students to informally interact with faculty members living amongst them.
Apply to be a Faculty in Residence
The Offices of the Provost and the Vice President for Student Affairs are now seeking faculty candidates for one or more Faculty-in-Residence (FiR) positions. The successful candidate will begin a three-year appointment in the autumn 2019 semester.
- Full-Time Faculty Status or Equivalent (as determined by the Provost)
- Approval from Department Chair and Dean
In the fall of 2014, SMU transformed the residential experience into a Residential Commons model, which places greater emphasis on students engaging with faculty inside and outside of the classroom. The Faculty-in-Residence (FiR) role is an integral part of this model.
The FiR program increases interaction between students and faculty members beyond the classroom, and emphasizes a culture of mentorship, intellectual discourse, and community which are cultivated in all aspects of the collegiate experience. The FiR role is a cornerstone of the residential life experience that creates opportunities for students to informally interact with faculty members living amongst them.
Information sessions for those interested in the FiR position will be held in September. Plan now to attend one of these sessions in the Hughes-Trigg Student Center hosted by current FiRs and RLSH Staff!
- Tuesday, September 18 @ 12:30 pm, HTSC Promenade Rooms (ground floor)
- Wednesday, September 19 @ 12 pm HTSC Portico BCD
- Tuesday, September 25 @ 4 pm HTSC Portico BCD
Links with Details about the FiR search and position are available here
The initial application for FiR consists of the following items:
- A thoughtful letter addressing these questions:
- Why are you interested and choosing to apply for the FiR position?
- What characteristics and qualities do you possess that will help you achieve success in this role? What do you hope to gain from the role?
- What does being an intellectual leader mean to you?
- What previous experience have you had engaging with students outside of the classroom?
- How do you see this role complementing your academic interests? How will the FiR role fit within your existing responsibilities and commitments?
Your Curriculum Vitae or resume
A signed Statement of Support
Letter of Recommendation from your Dean (for finalist candidates only)
Please send application materials to Michelle Madsen at SMU Campus, P.O. Box 750215 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to apply is Monday, October 1, 2018.
Articles about Faculty in Residence