Associate Provost for Research
James E. Quick is the Associate Provost for Research, Dean of Graduate Studies, and professor of earth sciences. Dean Quick comes to SMU after a distinguished twenty-five year scientific career with the United States Geological Survey (USGS) where he performed fundamental research on volcanoes and was in charge of monitoring the nation's 169 volcanoes to provide critical early warning of eruptions. Dean Quick has published widely in numerous scientific journals and is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and a recipient of the Capellini Medal of the Geological Society of Italy. He earned a Ph.D. in geology at the California Institute of Technology in 1980, an M.S. in petrology in 1974 at the University of Minnesota, and a B.S. in geology in 1972 at UCLA.
Meet the Office of Research and Graduate Studies Leadership Team.
SMU is a preeminent, private research university with a legacy of scholarly impact, creating knowledge and leaders through research and graduate education.
The Office of Research and Graduate Studies advances the goals of SMU’s 2nd Century Strategic Plan to enhance the academic quality and stature of the University by supporting and safeguarding the growth of research and graduate education. The ORGS aims to provide leadership, quality communication, responsiveness and transparency to the research community. The ORGS provides leadership in the development of new research initiatives, guidance and assistance through intellectual property development, grant management, and adherence to regulations and policies, and facilitates graduate recruitment, retention and graduation.
- We assist faculty members seeking external funding and conducting externally funded research and other projects.
- We strive to administer sponsored project activity to meet the University's objectives.
- We provide information and support so that faculty may conduct their externally funded research and other projects in compliance with terms and conditions in the award agreement and with University Policy.
- We seek to expand the quantity and diversity of research and sponsored project activity and thereby maximize its contribution to the University.
- We provide information on potential funding sources; we administer the preparation, internal approval and submission of proposals
- We negotiate, accept and administer awards for research and other sponsored projects.