Transfer Students

Prior to attending Academic Advising Registration and Orientation (AARO), transfer students can get most of their questions answered by referring to the Transfer and Transition Services page on the SMU website. At AARO, in addition to informational group meetings, transfer students will meet with either an academic advisor in the University Advising Center (for undeclared majors) or an advisor from the school in which their major resides. During that meeting, the student and advisor will review the Transfer Evaluation Report and discuss how incoming transfer credits will contribute to a SMU degree. The student and advisor will also review the University Curriculum and major and minor interests. Students will leave their meeting enrolled in classes for the next semester.

Transfer students have the opportunity to submit a petition to re-evaluate their transfer credits to meet different or additional requirements. To do so, submit the required documentation on the Transfer and Transition Services' re-evaluation webpage or work with your advisor to complete the "Undergraduate Petition for Reevaluation of Transfer Work" in the Registrar's Forms Library.

Important tip: Ensure that all of your records were sent by your previous schools and received by SMU. The Office of Undergraduate Admission must receive all final transcripts as well as a Statement of Good Standing form before students can matriculate at SMU. After you have matriculated, review the New Student Checklist and your Tasks tile in my.SMU to make sure you've completed everything before orientation.