As a SMU undergraduate student, you can work with the A-LEC's Learning Specialist to develop a personal system for managing time, tests, and texts.
You can learn to employ and benefit from time management and organizational tools such as the Semester At a Glance calendar, the 24/7 Time Awareness grid, the Courses Chart, and the Finals Preparation battle plan. You can also learn about a variety of skills including note-taking, concentration, textbook reading, stress management, test anxiety management, memory, motivation and more.
You can also schedule weekly or every other week meetings to help you stay accountable to your academic goals.
Academic counseling is available in spring, summer and fall terms.
Please abide by the following policies during virtual academic counseling appointments.
- Meeting. We will use the meeting feature via Zoom. We will admit attendees at the start time of your meeting. If your meeting does not begin immediately, please allow up to 5 minutes of wait time as back to back appointments are sometimes scheduled.
- Video & Background. Cameras should be turned on with faces clearly in view. This helps us see one another and provide nonverbal cues for communication and understanding! Please ensure that your background and video is not derogatory.
- If students have a technological issue that complicates participation, or if there is a specific reason to have the camera off, please notify the academic counselor as soon as these issues occur.
- Audio. Using headphones or a headset is strongly encouraged but not required.
- Display name. Please make sure your first and last name are listed in your Zoom name display. You are welcome to include your pronouns of preference in your display name, as you are comfortable doing so.
Once you click on the button, select, A-LEC Academic Counseling.