Transfer Credit

University policy requires that at least 60 hours must be earned as SMU credit for a student to be awarded an undergraduate degree.

Prior to matriculation to SMU: Credit may be awarded for college courses a student takes if the courses meet the criteria for transfer work.

After matriculation to SMU: Students may transfer a limited amount of credits to SMU. Post-matriculation transfer work must be completed at accredited, four-year colleges and universities. Post-matriculation work at institutions that award principally Associates and Bachelor of Applied Science degrees will not be considered for credit. To ensure in advance that a course taken at another accredited college or university will transfer and that proper credit will be awarded, the student should work with their academic advisor to submit the necessary petition.

For more information on transfer credit policy, please check the Enrollment and Academic Records page in the Undergraduate Catalog.