University/Common Curriculum FAQs

SMU requires that each student is proficient in a world language at the intermediate level (equal to one year of language study at the university level). For many students, they need to complete 1-2 semesters of a language. If you received a 4 or 5 on an AP language exam or speak English as your second language, please talk with your academic advisor and review information on the Word Language & Literatures site.

If you have experience in one language, but want to start a new language – that’s great! You may certainly take a new language. Talk with your academic advisor for assistance getting enrolled.
To determine what UC/CC requirements you still need to complete, log-on to my.SMU, expand the Academics section and click on Degree Progress. Your Degree Progress Report (DPR) will appear on the screen. To view a list of requirements that haven't been satisfied yet, check the box next to Hide Satisfied Requirements.
Students under the UC can view a list of approved courses listed by course prefix here. Students under the CC can search for courses by course prefix or CC component here.

The number of hours it requires for each student to complete the UC/CC varies based on major, course selections, and any credits they brought to SMU from high school or college. If you take a unique course for each requirement that’s outside your major/minor, UC students can expect it to take 47-58 hours and CC students can expect it to take 51-62 hours. However, there are many classes that count for more than one UC/CC requirement and some major or minor courses may cover requirements as well, so it’s unlikely to require that many hours.

No, you do not need to complete the UC/CC in your first year! In fact, for most students, that would be impossible. Focus on taking a few UC/CC requirements each semester and talk with your academic advisor about how to maximize any requirements your major courses may cover.