*UPDATE: Pre-major probation students can schedule a virtual appointment through Zoom by clicking on the red button below.
If you are a student on academic probation, the Altshuler Learning Enhancement Center is here to help! The pages in this section will answer questions about your academic standing, as well as help you identify some resources that can help you be successful at SMU.
For more specific information, schedule an appointment with the Academic Probation Counselor or please contact us at
Please abide by the following policies during virtual academic counseling appointments.
- Meeting. We will use the meeting feature via Zoom. We will admit attendees at the start time of your meeting. If your meeting does not begin immediately, please allow up to 5 minutes of wait time as back to back appointments are sometimes scheduled.
- Video & Background. Cameras should be turned on with faces clearly in view. This helps us see one another and provide nonverbal cues for communication and understanding! Please ensure that your background and video is not derogatory.
- If students have a technological issue that complicates participation, or if there is a specific reason to have the camera off, please notify the academic counselor as soon as these issues occur.
- Audio. Using headphones or a headset is strongly encouraged but not required.
- Display name. Please make sure your first and last name are listed in your Zoom name display. You are welcome to include your pronouns of preference in your display name, as you are comfortable doing so.