The responsibilities of the Provost include overseeing all the academic programs and units of the University; supporting and shaping the direction of undergraduate and graduate education; supporting faculty teaching and research; and overseeing academic policies of the University.
The ultimate mission of this office is to support and implement the academic mission of SMU: to create new knowledge, and to provide a transformative education that will equip students to be lifelong learners and engaged citizens in a globalized, diverse, and rapidly changing world.
The associate and assistant provosts, together with the provost’s administrative and operations staff, support the Provost in carrying out the responsibilities of the Provost.
After a comprehensive nationwide search, SMU is pleased to announce a new provost and vice president for academic affairs. Dr. Elizabeth Loboa, currently vice chancellor for strategic partnerships and dean and Ketchum Professor of the College of Engineering at the University of Missouri, will join SMU as provost and vice president for academic affairs on July 6, 2020. As the university's chief academic officer, she will be responsible for the overall quality of teaching, scholarship and research and all aspects of academic life, ranging from admissions and faculty development to supervision of SMU's eight schools, library system, and international programs. Dr. Loboa brings to SMU a distinguished academic record and broad university leadership experience. Please read more about Dr. Loboa here.
- Peter K. Moore, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs ad interim
- Patricia Alvey, Associate Provost for Institutional Planning and Effectiveness
- Sheri Kunovich, Associate Provost for Student Academic Engagement and Success
- Michael Robertson, Associate Provost ad interim for Continuing Education
- David Son, Associate Provost for Curricular Innovation and Policy ad interim
- Douglas A. Reinelt, Associate Provost for Faculty Affairs
Associate Vice Presidents
- James E. Quick, Associate Provost for Research and Dean of Graduate Studies
- Wes Waggoner, Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management
Assistant Provost (Chief of Staff)
- Daniel Eady, Assistant Provost (Chief of Staff)