This project was the inaugural project for SMU Data Governance and SMU Data Warehouse.
Questions to Be Addressed:
What do we know about the students with alcohol or drug offenses (either through conduct or the PD)?
- What are their demographic profiles? The typical gender, ethnicity, religion, etc breakdowns
- What is their financial profile? Parental income, amount and type of aid, type and status of payment plan
- What is their residential situation?
- What else are they involved with on campus? Student orgs/FSL, employment, athletics, service, research, etc
When do these incidences occur during the school year, the week, and around what events?
- What points of the year are peak for this behavior?
- What days of the week or peak for this behavior?
- What is the influence of traditions events on this behavior?
- What impact may boulevarding have on this behavior?
What policies, procedures, or programs encourage or do not actively discourage this behavior? (less relevant for Data Governance group)
- FSL recruitment – consequences for alcohol or drug violation prior to going through recruitment
- Scheduling (or not) of Friday classes
- Mustang Corral
- Leadership position expectations – RAs, OLs, student orgs, FSL, etc.
While Data Governance is an iterative process, meaning items may be revised as more information becomes available, initial data governance issues related to this project have been completed.
- Variables Identified
- Variables defined and listed in the data glossary (pending final approval of the DGSC)
- Variable that exist in SMU data systems have been located and specified in the data dictionary
- Variables have been classified based upon data governance policy guidelines
- Data stewards have been identified for each variable
- Final approval of the data glossary definitions
- Completion of the data mart
- Construction of reports useful for appropriate constituents
Potential Upcoming Projects
Based upon recommendations of the Data Governance Steering Committee:
- Retention and Graduation
- Academic Program Performance
- Admissions and Recruitment