Engaged Learning Fellowship
ELF Spotlight: Sayumi Mahawanniarachchi '23
What is the ELF?
The Engaged Learning Fellowship (ELF) allows undergraduate students to design and pursue capstone-level projects in research, creative activity, and civic engagement.
For the Regular Decision 2022 Cycle, we will have Open Office Hours to give feedback on applications. 2-4pm on Wednesday February 2 and Thursday February 3. Clements Hall G01 (Scholars' Den).
- up to $2000 to fund their project
- project listed on transcript and in commencement booklet
- multiple opportunities to share their work with the public
- support from faculty mentors and Office of Engaged Learning staff
Who's it for?
- Students ready to design and pursue their own projects
- Typically second or third-year students
- Many work with a faculty mentor as a URA first
Want to see what previous ELFs have done? Click here to see their projects.
Applications are reviewed during the following time periods. Applications received after these deadlines will be considered for the following cycle.
- Senior Projects Deadline: SEP 15
- Early Decision Deadline: DEC 15
- Regular Decision Deadline: FEB 15
ELFs are selected by a review committee of SMU faculty and staff. Fellows and their faculty mentors are notified approximately one month after the deadline. See How to Apply for further guidelines.