Congratulations and welcome to the Perkins Houston/Galveston hybrid program!
Please review the information below and follow the steps to make certain you have complete and timely access to your course materials.
Checklist for New Students
- Accept your admission and your financial aid package in Slate. Make certain that your contact information is current in Slate.
- You will receive a letter from SMU Enrollment Services that includes your SMU ID and instructions for activating your SMU system privileges including your SMU email account. You must use this information to activate your privileges at https://smu.edu/activate. If you have problems, contact the Information Technology Help Desk at 214-SMU-HELP (214-768-43576).
- You must complete the Health Requirements process before you can register for classes. You will need your SMU ID number, so it cannot be completed before you receive that information. It also requires proof of some vaccinations that must be obtained from a physician beforehand. Once completed, it may take up to two working days before you are cleared to register. You are strongly advised to complete this six weeks before the initial face-to-face class meetings of the term in order to register and have access to your preparatory materials in ample time. You may check your My.SMU account after submitting your Health Form to verify receipt and completeness by going to: My.SMU Student Homepage > Health Center > Health History.
NOTE: The first time you log into My.SMU, you will be prompted to set up Duo two-factor authentication using a mobile device.
- Create your SMU photo ID card by uploading a suitable picture at the Parking and ID Services website. Specifications for ID photos are found on the webpage. ID cards for Houston/Galveston students will be distributed during New Student Orientation (Monday, August 19 for Fall 2019).
- When your Health Requirements process is complete, you will need to clear the “Rights and Responsibilities” hold under your Tasks tile in My.SMU. Please follow these steps to read and agree to the Rights and Responsibilities.
- Now you may register for classes through the Manage Classes tile on the Student Homepage on My.SMU. Once you are enrolled for classes in My.SMU, you will be added to your courses in Canvas within 6-24 hours. Canvas is the learning management system used for all hybrid courses.
- Review the Hybrid Course Technology Requirements page to make certain you have the resources you need to succeed in your coursework.
- Log into Canvas to obtain reading lists and pre-Orientation assignments.
- Once you are enrolled each term, you must accept or waive Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). The actual enroll/waive process is through the Student Homepage in My.SMU. The option to enroll or waive will not appear until after enrollment is complete. To avoid issues with financial aid and loan refunds, the Health Center is recommending to enroll or waive SHIP by August 7, 2019.
|July 8, 2019||All preparation assignments for initial face-to-face sessions are available in Canvas.|
|August 19-25, 2019||Orientation and initial face-to-face meetings for hybrid courses in Houston.|
|August 23, 2019||Last day to withdraw from all classes without any tuition charge.|
|August 30, 2019||Last day to register, add courses or drop a course without grade record or tuition billing|
|September 9, 2019||Last day to drop a course or withdraw from the university without academic record.|