Remembering Mom: The Barbara Franklin Foundation is accepting scholarship applications from young women between the age of 18-25 who have experienced loss due to the death of their mother, but desire to continue their educational path in spite of their mother’s absence. (Mother-loss is not restricted to cancer).
- Applicant must be a young woman between the age of 18-25 with plans to attend an accredited institution of higher learning during the academic year (fall and spring semesters).
- Applicant must have a 3.0 cumulative grade point average.
- Applicant must live in the State of Texas.
- Applicant must provide a copy of mother’s death certificate or obituary.
- Must show proof of enrollment in a minimum of 6 credit hours at an accredited institution of higher learning.
One scholarship will be awarded in the amount up to $500 for the spring and $500 for the fall semester.
Applicants must submit the following items along with a completed application:
- Copy of most recent academic transcript (with school’s seal), SAT or required assessment test for entry into institution of higher learning.
- Two letters of recommendation (one from a school counselor or teacher/professor and one from a community leader such as a pastor/minister, school principal, employer, civic or political leader).
- A typed 500-word essay about your motherloss experience and the importance to pursue an education in spite of your mother’s absence.
- A selection committee will screen applications and essays.
- The scholarship will be awarded to the student who best meets the eligibility requirements.
The scholarship recipient will be notified by telephone and invited to attend the Annual Remembering Mom Luncheon Celebration on the second Saturday of May.
Where to mail applications:
Remembering Mom Scholarship Committee
Attn: Marsha Evans, Scholarship Chair
P. O. Box 670161
Dallas, Texas 75367-0161