SMU’s Office of Information Technology will be providing access to the Microsoft Office Specialist Exam for free to current students and benefit-eligible staff and faculty meeting the parameters of the pilot. Certification exams may be taken on the campus through IT Training on a first-come-first-served basis as a limited number of exams are available.
Becoming a Microsoft Office Specialist
MOS includes three levels of certification:
Specialist: Become certified in one, any, or all of Microsoft's premiere office technologies.
Expert: Like grad school for two of the most in-demand technologies in the job market. Requires completion of Expert exam in Word and/or Excel.
Master: Like earning a Ph.D. in Office. To become a MOS Master, you must earn Word Expert, Excel Expert, Powerpoint, and Access or Outlook certifications.
Students can certify at all three levels. They should try to obtain the highest level possible. The market demands—and caters to—those who possess the most education and skills.
Where do I begin?
Microsoft Office Certification Exams are a performance-based timed exam and conducted in a "live," or simulated, environment. Candidates receive 5-7 small projects with tasks that build on each other.
Prepare for the exam by utilizing online study resources and GMetrix practice exams. GMetrix practice exams will help you prepare for the Microsoft Office certification exams. These practice exams allow you to choose between training mode, which will allow you to view hints and retry missed questions, and testing mode, which will simulate actual testing conditions.
As part of the pilot program,
Take the actual certification exam at the on campus testing location. These exams will be proctored by the IT Training Team. Test candidate Exam Policies and information on Accommodation of Disabilities may be found at Certiport.com.
If you are ready to get started, submit a help desk ticket to obtain your GMetrix access code and receive information on how to schedule your exam.
Get a GMetrix access code
Benefits of Being Certified
- Allows Faculty to focus more on methodologies and spend less time on applications.
- Supervisors may utilize certification studies to close skill gaps
- Students can digitally broadcast their accomplishments with MOS 2016 online badges. These digital badges contain verifiable data that tell employers and admission committees what the student did and why it matters.
- Prepares students for advanced level courses and increases marketability.
- 91% of hiring managers consider employee certification as a criterion for hiring
- 81% of hiring mangers feel that certified individuals perform better
- 79% of hiring managers feel that certified individuals are more efficient
- 50% more likely to be hired Full Time
Where can I get more information?
Faculty may contact Laurene Klassen at 214-768-1316 to learn how to incorporate the Microsoft Office Certification exam as part of your curriculum.
We encourage students who are taking a MOS certification exam for class to review our FAQ's and learn more about exam scheduling and practice materials available.