The online directory provides contact information about SMU faculty, staff, and students for individuals outside and inside the campus community. This information is updated automatically based on the information in my.SMU.
Frequently Asked Questions
The following information will be displayed for each individual:
- First and Last Name
- Campus Email Address
- Phone Number (if employee)
- Affiliation (Faculty, Staff, Student)
- Department/School (If employee)
The directory will be visible to the public and accessed from the SMU Website.
Yes, several safeguards were implemented to protect the information from spammers or outside vendors from simply harvesting emails.
- In order to use the search, you must enter one letter of the first name and a complete last name before any data is displayed
- The search results will be limited to 10 matches preventing random searches on common names
- You cannot search by department names
Yes. However, this has some additional implications.
- Your information will not be included in the public online directory
- Your name and email will not be available from the address list in Webmail or Outlook.
- If someone tries to invite you to a meeting via Outlook or Webmail, they will need to enter your email address rather than your name.
- If you try to configure Outlook or other mail clients, you may have difficulty successfully connecting to the mailbox.
If you wish to opt out, please do the following:
- Login to my.SMU
- Navigate to Student Center--Student Self Service-- Personal Information-- Directory Restriction
- Select the appropriate directory restriction and click Save
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the request to be hidden from the Address book.
No. If you have multiple affiliations with the University, it will only show your primary affiliation in the directory.