The Office of Information Technology’s Research Technology Services unit provides dedicated consultative and project resources for advancing research and education in Internet of Things (IoT) technologies.
IoT technologies are increasingly becoming more essential to support the transformation of data-driven research and industries from fitness, physical science, energy, transportation, healthcare, finance and beyond. IoT combines physical sensors, communication technologies, data analytics, machine intelligence and automation—as well as the underlying connecting computing code tying everything together.
The mission of the Internet of Things group is to help support the unique challenges of research and IoT and to utilize IoT technologies to solve problems and to leverage data in powerful new ways. SMU’s IoT developers help faculty and students perform cutting-edge interdisciplinary research toward implementing the building blocks of IoT at SMU in unique projects.
By partnering with faculty and students, OIT's IoT developers:
- help faculty and students to turn ideas into new designs and to fabricate working IoT prototypes
- assist with IoT experiments and apply new IoT technology methods to derive insights from physical devices and machine data
- utilize expertise in IoT and software engineering to advance research goals
- carry out innovative collaborative academic and industry-sponsored research in wireless communications and networking
- work with faculty, postdocs, and graduate students in all areas of research
- collaborate with faculty to help co-author publications describing methods and results