The instructions for configuring your phone to retrieve your SMU email vary slightly depending on the phone model. However, the email settings are the same no matter which device you have.
Students-- click here for configuration instructions if your account is on Office 365
General Configuration Information for Faculty and Staff only
Server Name : webmail.smu.edu
If the phone prompts for a Username, Password, and Domain:
Password: Your SMU Password (Same used for my.SMU, etc.)
If the phone prompts for only a Username and Password:
Username: SMUIDemail@example.com (Ex: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Password: Your Access.SMU Password
iPhone, iPads and other iOS Devices
*The wireless connection needs to be off on the iPhone's configuration settings or it needs to be connected to a secure network, such as PerunaNet (on campus.) It may also help to turn wireless off and back on again to regain the correct connection to PerunaNet.
- From the main screen, click on Settings.
- Click on Mail, Contacts, and Calendars.
- Click on Add Account.
- Then Select Microsoft Exchange
- Then enter the following information:
Email: Enter your SMU email address (email@example.com)
Username: SMU email address
Password: SMU Password.
- Then click Next, you will be prompted for the email server address, enter: webmail.smu.edu
- After clicking Next, you can then select the information you would like to pull down from the server. (Mail, Contacts, Calendar)
*This means the email, contacts, and calendar information that is on webmail.smu.edu will be shown on your phone in the appropriate application.
- After selecting your options, click Save.
- Click Settings
- Go to Accounts and Sync
- Click Add Account
- Select Corporate (MS Exchange)
- Enter your Email address and Password
- Click Next
- It will automatically attempt to configure the phone, but will fail. It will fill in several fields that need to be corrected
- Domain\Username: SMU\SMUID. (If those two fields are listed separately, the domain is SMU. The username is your SMU ID number)
- Exchange Server: webmail.smu.edu
- Use Secure connection should be checked
- Click Next
- Click Finish
*If the account setup is successful, but the android device does not sync, please contact the Help Desk. There is a temporary workaround for these particular devices due to a compatibility issue with the Exchange 2010 servers.
Active Sync (Windows Mobile Phones)
- On the Main Applications screen, click on Active Sync.
- Click menu.
- Select Add New Server Source.
- Enter webmail.smu.edu as the server name
- If you are prompted to enter an SMU ID number, password, and domain, enter the following: Username: SMUID Number
Password: SMU Password
- If you are prompted to enter only an SMU ID number and password, enter the following:
Username: SMUIDnumber@smu.edu (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Password: Your SMU password.