All devices that are compatible with wired networking, contain MAC addresses. The MAC address is used to identify the device on the network. In order for any device to be connected to the wired network, it will need to be registered with OIT.
An example of registration: Your PC or MAC is connected to the wired network, when Internet Explorer is opened, you are required to enter your ID and Password to register the device. Since gaming and TiVo devices do not have an internet browser to reach the registration page, these devices must be pre-registered to pass through the registration page.
Locate the MAC Address
- Go to the System Area of the Xbox Dashboard and select Network Settings.
- Select Edit Settings
- Under Basic Settings, check to make sure the IP address is set to Automatic
- Go to Additional Settings, Select Advanced Settings.
- The Wired MAC Address is displayed at the bottom of the screen.
Create a New Connection
- Turn on your Xbox 360 console. * If this is the first time you are turning on your console, you will need to complete the initial setup and create a profile before continuing. In the System Area, select Network Settings. Select Test Xbox Live Connection. If you are prompted to sign out, select Yes. *
- If you have not set your locale on the console, you will be asked to set it. Your locale is the country or region from which you are connecting to Xbox Live.
- If the Xbox Live test reports Connected, congratulations! You have successfully connected your Xbox 360 console to Xbox Live. If you would like to review your settings, select Edit Settings. If you would like to begin gaming, select Xbox dashboard (Y button). **If you receive an error message, please reference the Error Message / Troubleshooting Section.