All devices that are compatible with wired networking, contain MAC addresses. The MAC address is used to identify the device on the network.
In order for any device to be connected to the wired network, it will need to be registered with OIT. An example of registration: Your PC or MAC is connected to the wired network, when Internet Explorer is opened, you are required to enter your ID and Password to register the device. Since gaming and TiVo devices do not have an internet browser to reach the registration page, these devices must be pre-registered to pass through the registration page.
Locate the MAC Address
- Power on the Playstation 3 without ANY disc in the drive.
- Once the Playstation 3 operating system has loaded, select Settings.
- Once you are in Settings, select Network Settings.
- When the Network Settings list appears, select the first option which is titled: Settings and Connection Status List.
- The Wired MAC Address will be listed under MAC address.
Create a New Connection
- Select (Network Settings) under (Settings) in the home menu.
- Select [Internet Connection Settings]. Select [Yes] when a confirmation screen is displayed stating that you will be disconnected from the Internet.
- Select [Wired Connection].
- Select [Easy].
- Save your settings.
- Test the connection. If you select [Test Connection], the system will attempt to connect to the Internet.
- Confirm the connection test results. **If a successful connection has been made, information on the network will be displayed. **If the connection fails, follow the on-screen instructions to check your settings. All Settings should be set to automatic. This includes IP Addresses, Subnet Mask, DNS Servers, and any other settings needed to connect to the network. If you receive an error message, please reference the Error Message / Troubleshooting Section.