Our list of faculty guides is updated daily! Check this page often for new information about online instruction.
Time Zone Reminder:
SMU’s schedule of classes must be held at the same schedule time as the class is held on the physical SMU campus. All class start times and end times will continue to be on Central Standard Time (CST)
For more information, please see Canvas Time Zone Reminder.
- SMUFlex Faculty Guide by the SMU Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE)
- Instructional Continuity Guide by the SMU Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE)
- Additional Instructional Continuity Resources from CTE
- Faculty Resource Guide , a one-sheet quick reference, by Academic Technology Service
- Faculty Guidelines for Online Learning from the Office of the Provost
- Adobe's Distance Learning Videos
- Online Teaching Essentials by Academic Technology Service
- Albion.com's Core Rules of Netiquette
- Inside Higher Ed's Zoomnosis: Avoiding Mischief and Mayhem in the Great Leap to Zoom
OIT Tech Guides
- Automatically Send Zoom Recordings to Panopto
- Recording Classes with Zoom (An Overview)
- Recording Classes with Zoom Cloud
- Transitioning Recordings to Canvas with Panopto
Accessing Computer Labs
Assignments, Exams, and project
Other Tools and Resources
- Adobe Scanning tool instructions
- SMU Libraries
- Resources from Textbook Publishers
- Adobe installations for students
- Remote Instruction Essentials YouTube Playlist
Respondus has put together a set of resources that we encourage you to share with administrators, trainers, and instructors.
- Respondus Monitor: overview of key features, and instructor resources
- LockDown Browser: overview of key features, and instructor resources
- Rapid Rollout for Instructors answers the top questions instructors have about LockDown Browser & Respondus Monitor
Daily Training Webinars with LIVE Q&A
SMU faculty can participate in daily training webinars for LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor: web.respondus.com/webinars/. The trainings are about 45 minutes, with an extended Q/A period where questions are answered live. The trainings are an amazingly effective way at getting instructors quickly up-and-running with these applications. Register Now.
Rapid Rollout Guide for Instructors
The essential information for using Respondus Monitor with online exams is available on the Rapid Rollout (for Instructors) page.
Create a Practice Exam
Have students take a practice exam with Respondus Monitor to ensure their computer, webcam and Internet are working properly. Allow students more than one attempt on the quiz so they can try the practice exam whenever their device or networking environment changes
24/7 Live Chat
Remember that students can access built-in troubleshooting and live chat from within Respondus Monitor if they encounter a technical problem. You can find more resources for students, including how to access Live Chat, on the Respondus Student Resources site.