September 30, 2009
DALLAS (NWHF) - Businesswoman and philanthropist Madeleine Pickens, legendary businessman and financier T. Boone Pickens, SMU Coach June Jones and NFL Hall of Fame quarterback and Super Bowl VI MVP Roger Staubach today announced a "Salute to the Mustangs," an event to be held October 17th during pre-game and halftime of the SMU-Navy football game at Gerald J. Ford Stadium. Details and information are available online at MadeleinesMustangs.org.
Among the highlights of "Salute to the Mustangs" will be a performance by Western Music Hall of Fame inductee Michael Martin Murphey, who will be performing his wild horse-themed Platinum recording, "Wildfire". It also will include a tribute to our Armed Forces, Wounded Warriors, United States War Dogs Association and Vet Dogs - organizations that provide loving animals that help support our Armed Forces and disabled veterans.
At the game, Madeleine and T. Boone Pickens will present SMU President Dr. R. Gerald Turner, Coach Jones and SMU with a beautiful and trained Mustang as a gift to the school. The first 10,000 fans in attendance will receive an SMU towel that they can swirl around to show their support during the half time show.
"I'm sure there are people wondering why we are doing all of this," said Madeleine Pickens. "One of my life's passions is to protect and save America's Wild Horses -- a living symbol of our American heritage and freedom. What better place to get the word out about protecting and saving wild horses than Dallas, Texas, and at a football game at the home of the SMU Mustangs. We thought the perfect game would be against Navy, as we can not only salute the American Mustang, but we also can salute the men and women of our Armed Forces."
Madeleine Pickens has proposed a plan by which her National Wild Horse Foundation, a private non-profit foundation, will establish a sanctuary as a permanent home to protect and care for wild horses presently in captivity. The sanctuary also would provide a location for the public to visit and appreciate these living symbols of our American heritage and freedom.
Madeleine Pickens' National Wild Horse Foundation announced the formation of a 25-member Advisory Committee consisting of prominent entertainment and sports figures. The Committee presently consists of:
- June Jones — Advisory Committee Chairman, SMU Mustangs Head Football Coach
- Troy Aikman — NFL Hall of Fame quarterback & Super Bowl XVII MVP
- Michael Blake — Academy Award Winning Screenwriter, "Dances With Wolves"
- Jenny Craig — Founder, Jenny Craig, Inc.
- Mark Cuban — Owner, NBA's Dallas Mavericks
- David Foster — Grammy Award-Winning musician, composer, singer, songwriter, and record producer
- Jerry Jones — Owner, NFL's Dallas Cowboys
- Adrienne Maloof-Nassif — Executive Vice President, Maloof Companies
- T. Boone Pickens — Legendary businessman and financier
- Mike Post — Grammy and Emmy Award-Winning Composer
- Rudy Ruettiger — Notre Dame football legend and real life inspiration for the movie "Rudy"
- Roger Staubach — NFL Hall of Fame quarterback & Super Bowl VI MVP
- Barry Switzer — Former Dallas Cowboys Head Football Coach
- Doug Williams — Former Washington Redskins quarterback, Super Bowl XXII MVP
"It has been extremely gratifying to see so many great Americans unite behind this cause to create a permanent home to save these magnificent national treasures," said Madeleine Pickens. "Their support means the world to Boone and me."
"I am proud to join Madeleine Pickens to help save America's Wild Horses," said Coach June Jones. "I believe in Madeleine and I believe in this cause. And what better connection than to have the head football coach of the Mustangs, the only FBS Division I school with that mascot name, to be part of this mission. Her leadership on this critical issue is a personal inspiration to me, and I know that together we will be able to make a difference."
To help raise awareness and build support for the campaign, Coach Jones and Madeleine Pickens have sent out a letter to all high schools that have horse-related mascots, including the Mustangs, the Broncos, the Cowboys, the Colts, the Stallions, the Caballeros and the Mavericks, asking them to join in this effort. Members of the general public also can demonstrate their support, by visiting MadeleinesMustangs.org.
# # #