SMU consists of seven degree-granting schools, all of which
are named for donors who have made major commitments to the development of the
Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences — Dating
from SMU’s opening in 1915, the College provides general education courses
required of all undergraduates and offers majors in the humanities, sciences and
social sciences. The College was named in 1981 for its benefactors, Robert H.
Dedman Sr. and his wife, Nancy McMillan Dedman, of Dallas.
Edwin L. Cox School of Business — Established in
1920, the School of Business was named in 1978 in honor of benefactor Edwin L.
Cox of Dallas.
Meadows School of the Arts — Arts education began
with the University’s opening and evolved into Meadows School of the Arts. The
School was named in 1969 in honor of its benefactor, Algur H. Meadows, and The
Meadows Foundation of Dallas.
Bobby B. Lyle School of Engineering — Founded in
1925, it is one of the oldest engineering schools in the Southwest. The School
was named in October 2008 in honor of benefactor Bobby B. Lyle of Dallas.
Dedman School of Law — Established in 1925, the
School of Law was named in 2001 in honor of its benefactors, Robert H. Dedman
Sr., his wife, Nancy McMillan Dedman, and their family of Dallas.
Perkins School of Theology — One of SMU’s three
original schools, the School of Theology was named in 1945 to honor its
benefactors, Joe J. and Lois Craddock Perkins of Wichita Falls, Texas.
Annette Caldwell Simmons School of Education and Human
Development — Education programs date from SMU’s early years, and in 2005
the School of Education and Human Development was established, consolidating and
adding programs. It was named in 2007 for Annette Caldwell Simmons, recognizing
benefactors Harold and Annette Simmons of Dallas.
# # #