The MFA in Stage Design at the Meadows School of the Arts will give you the opportunity to shape your artistic vision, enhance your aesthetic sophistication, and develop your critical thinking as you become an independent artist and collaborator. Networking opportunities also prepare you for a successful career. You will design at SMU as well as our partner theatres such as Dallas Theater Center, Undermain, Theatre Three, Kitchen Dog, Circle Theatre, and Water Tower Theatre. Paid summer internships are available through Ignite Arts Dallas and Public Works Dallas at the Dallas Theater Center.
The FIRST YEARof study includes the development of foundational skills. These include drawing, drafting, model-making, and an introduction to digital platforms. You will assist 2nd/3rd year MFA’s or guest designers in the SMU season. You will design the final spring production.
Twice each semester you will meet with design faculty to review your progress and goals.
The SECOND YEAR allows for in-depth, personalized instruction and advance skills acquisition. New areas of study include digital costume rendering, CADD, film techniques, and robotic lighting. Students choose to take classes in digital media, draping, scene painting, studio art, art history, and advanced digital design such as creative computation, Cinema 4D, and Maya. You will design at least two SMU productions and 1-3 at our partner theatres.
The THIRD YEAR prepares you for a commercial career. Classes focus on business contract negotiations, union membership, and business skills. You will continue to design productions at SMU and our partner theatres. Upon graduation you will present your portfolio at the annual New York City Design Showcase East and/or Los AngelesDesign Showcase West.
We host interviews with guest artists for networking and job placement every semester. Join 55 years of alumni excellence by pursuing the MFA in Stage Design. For complete information contact Director of Graduate Studies Joe S. Hoselton Hoselton@smu.edu 214/768-3765.
Faculty & Staff
- Russell Parkman Scenic Design
- Marsha Grasselli CADD
- Claudia Stephens Costume Design
- Amanda Capshaw Digital Costume Rendering
- Steve Woods Lighting Design
- Steven Piechokski Digital Media Design
- Stan Wojewodski Directing
- Jason Biggs Sound Designer/Engineer
- Rhonda Blair Text Analysis
- Linda Blase Photography, Photoshop
- Kathy Windrow Drawing & Painting
- Dawn Askew-Production Manager
- Melissa Panzarello Draping/Costume Construction
- JT Ringer Properties Manager
- Eugenia Stallings Costumer
- Justin Mosher - Technical Director
- Steve Leary Master Carpenter
- Eliseo Gutierrez - Shop Foreman
- Ryan Brooke Master Electrician