Songworks In Action: Playful Teaching, Vibrant Learning!
- Dates: July 26-30
- Times: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Daily
- Noncredit Cost: $400
- Graduate Credit: Additional $1,000.00 for 2 hours of graduate credit (Paid separately to SMU)
- Housing: There is no on-campus housing available for this workshop. For a list of local Dallas hotels near the SMU campus and out-of-state discounts, go to http://www.campustravel.com/university/smu/visit_smu.html
- Required Materials: SongWorks I: Singing in the Education of Children by Dr. Douglas Bartholomew and Dr. Peggy D. Bennett, A link to purchase this book through West Music Co. will be made available prior to the workshop.
- SongWorks classes will be held in person.
Jake Harkins is a General Music Specialist (PK-6) in Falls Church, Virginia. As a Responsive Classroom Certified Instructor, his focus has been on creating strong relationships and a positive school culture through song games and folk dancing, as well as vocal and instrumental ensembles. Prior to joining Fairfax County Public Schools, Jake received a BM in Percussion Performance and a Masters of Teaching in Music Education from Oberlin Conservatory of Music. As a specialist in SongWorks literacy techniques and practices, Jake frequently presents ways to bridge alternative and standard music notation. Committed to life-long learning, and the Principles and Practices of SongWorks, Jake aims to empower his students and colleagues with Playful Teaching and Vibrant Learning. He has presented both nationally and internationally at music education conferences over the past ten years and has authored over fifteen articles and columns related to education and music. Jake has served the SongWorks Educators Association as Board Director at large (2014-2020). He is currently a Faculty Instructor for Summer Certification Courses, as well as SongWorks in Practice (SIP) founder, organizer and host. Jake enjoys spending weekends comfort-cooking, caring for exotic house plants, and playing the Irish whistle.
Vicky Suárez teaches K-5 music at Shepard Elementary in Plano ISD. She holds degrees from the University of Texas at Arlington (BM 1989) and Southern Methodist University (MM 2017), and is certified in both SongWorks and Orff Schulwerk. She has presented workshops and sessions for AOSA, TMEA, and SongWorks International Conferences, as well as professional development for area music teachers. Vicky is immediate past-president of SongWorks Educators Association, and is on the faculty of the SongWorks summer course at the University of Wisconsin at River Falls. She enjoys playing flute in the New Texas Symphony Orchestra, a community orchestra in Dallas.
For further information about SMU Music Educators Workshops, or to register for one of these classes, visit https://gradadmission.smu.edu/portal/SummerMusicEdWorkshops or contact Julie Scott, Lisa Beyer, or Courtney Wilson at email@example.com; or call the SMU Music Office at 214-768-1951.