A Lyle Engineering Master’s Degree helps you in the job market – more money, more responsibility, more contacts, and more options for your future. Take the time now to become a leader in engineering.
- Earn both a bachelor’s and master’s degree in less time than completing the degrees separately.
- Start exploring this option in the spring of your sophomore year and apply to the program early in your junior year.
- Begin taking graduate-level coursework that will be applied to both the bachelor’s and master’s degrees (up to 9 hours).
- Network with your graduate-level classmates who have years of experience to share with you.
Work and Study, Options for Master’s Classes
Undergraduates with co-ops and job offers can work and study at the same time. Your graduate coursework can be completed though evening classes on campus and/or distance education. Lyle Engineering offers convenient and flexible options to working professionals who are continuing their education, in Dallas and across the nation.
4+1 Leadership and Service Scholarship Information
The Lyle School of Engineering offers 4+1 Accelerated Master’s Degree Program scholarships worth up to 75% of fifth-year tuition. Depending on your GPA and volunteer and leadership contributions to the Lyle School, up to 75% of the tuition of your 7 Lyle graduate level 4+1 courses in a Lyle graduate program could be covered. The 4+1 Leadership and Service Scholarship is only applicable to Lyle School of Engineering master level programs and not to other graduate programs at SMU.
3.750-3.899 SMU GPA could earn a scholarship of 50% tuition - does not include student fee charges.
3.900-4.000 SMU GPA could earn a scholarship of 75% tuition - does not include student fee charges.
How to Apply
Please note: The 4+1 Leadership and Service Scholarship is not awarded until the bachelors degree has been conferred. The scholarship is awarded based on the student’s cumulative SMU undergraduate GPA at the time of graduation with the undergraduate degree AND contributions to the Lyle School of Engineering via volunteer work and leadership activities. The scholarship covers tuition (not student fees) for the 7 additional Lyle graduate courses required for the first masters degree received.
8 hours per semester of documented volunteer and leadership work per semester is the minimum requirement in addition to the GPA requirement. Seniors should have completed 48 hours of volunteer/leadership activity by the time of graduation with the undergraduate degree. Students currently in the SMU Lyle undergraduate program need to inquire about their specific volunteer commitments.
At the end of the undergraduate program, the application is submitted and will be reviewed by the 4+1 Leadership and Service Scholarship Committee. All leadership and volunteer activity will be verified by the offices which supervised the activity.
If you are interested in the 4+1 Accelerated Master’s Degree Program, you need to apply to the Lyle graduate program in which you are interested. Indicate that you wish to be evaluated as a 4+1 Program candidate.
4+1 Program Application Forms
4+1 Scholarship Application
(Applicants must also complete a Graduate Application)
(for US Citizens, Permanent Residents, H1/H4 Visa Holders)
(for International Students)
Please submit completed scholarship applications to:
Jim Dees, Suite 353 Caruth
- Be enrolled in an undergraduate program in the Lyle School of Engineering
- Achieved junior-level status
- Apply no later than one year prior to the time you would graduate with a B.S. degree
- Have an overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Have three letters of recommendation, preferably one from the student’s academic advisor and two from other faculty members in the Lyle School of Engineering
- Be accepted into the desired M.S. program
Master’s Degree Requirements
- Have a cumulative graduate GPA of 3.0 in the M.S. degree course work (including the graduate course work applied towards the undergraduate degree requirements)
- Complete a minimum of 21 term-credit hours of graduate coursework at SMU
- Meet all requirements for your B.S. and M.S. degrees