Visioneering celebrates the ways that engineering makes a difference in the world around us. At its core, Visioneering exposes teams of middle school students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grades to the fields of engineering, the design process, team work, presentation, and problem solving skills. The teams of students are mentored by professional engineers and Lyle faculty, staff, graduate and undergraduate students. Visioneering could not happen without the tremendous support of our mentors, who volunteer their time and knowledge to the middle school students. Please visit the "Register to be a Mentor" tab for more details.
School registration for Visioneering 2019 will open January 7th.
Click here to see photos from Visioneering 2018!
If you have any questions, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is Visioneering?
Visioneering is a free, half-day event held on the SMU campus that brings together middle school students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grades from across North Texas to engage with engineering concepts. Held annually in the spring, around National Engineers week, this event celebrates the creative problem solving side of engineering.
View the documentary video from Visioneering 2012
- The morning starts with an exciting opening session in McFarlin Auditorium, which includes a short talk from a professional working in a STEM field.
- Next is an authentic engineering design competition where teams of students move to classrooms across campus to collaborate on a specific problem related to real world issues. Each team is paired with a mentor who is either an upper level SMU Lyle School student, faculty or a professional working in a field of engineering.
- At the end of the challenge each mentor will judge two other teams' final design projects.
All students are required to participate in the presentation.
- Judges' forms are collected and students return to McFarlin Auditorium for snacks and an engineering expo presented by our sponsors. Companies showcase the latest technologies, projects, and more.
- Once the judging forms have been tabulated, we end the day with an awards ceremony where teams are recognized for outstanding execution of one of the design challenge elements: leadership, technological impact, invention, innovation, engineering, and advancement.
See what others are saying about Visioneering
"This is an awesome event that really stretched our kids to think outside the box. Thank you for the opportunity!” - Teacher Comment
“This is one of the BEST opportunities I have ever witnessed. What an experience!” - Teacher Comment
“The best characteristic about this event is that, within 90 minutes, the students experience a complete complex solving project and meet a lot of engineers.” - Mentor
Want more information?
Contact us about registering a team or being a volunteer engineering mentor at email@example.com.
Would your company be interested in sponsoring Visioneering or participating in the event's engineering expo?