Department of Mechanical Engineering
Clinical Associate Professor
B.S., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1985
3-D printing/additive manufacturing; robotics and automation; advanced manufacturing technology; micromanufacturing and MEMS; medical devices.
- Nearly 70 issued U.S. patents in the fields of 3-D printing, MEMS, and medical devices, with many pending; 1st or sole inventor on many of these.
- Saari et al., “Fiber Encapsulation Additive Manufacturing: An Enabling Technology for 3D Printing of Electromechanical Devices and Robotic Components”, 3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing, Vol. 2, No. 1, 2015.
- Gosline et al., “Percutaneous Intracardiac Beating-heart Surgery using Metal MEMS Tissue Approximation Tools”, International Journal of Robotics Research 31(9), pp. 1081-1093 (2012).
- Butler et al., “Metal MEMS Tools for Beating-heart Tissue Approximation”, 2011 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), May 9-13, 2011, Shanghai, China. Selected as one of the five finalists for the Best Medical Paper Award.
- Cohen et al., “Microscale metal additive manufacturing of multi-component medical devices”, Rapid Prototyping Journal, 16(3) (2010)
- Cohen et al., “Wafer-Scale, Solid Freeform Fabrication of Fully-Assembled Metal Micro-Mechanisms for Minimally-Invasive Medical Devices”, Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium 2009, Proceedings, UT Austin; awarded a “SFF Symposium Outstanding Paper” distinction
- Chen et al., “Microfabricated tissue removal instruments for minimally-invasive procedures”, 19th International Conference of the Society for Medical Innovation and Technology, Japan, Nov. 2007
- Cohen et al., “Batch Fabrication of Complex, Pre-Assembled, Miniature Medical Devices”, Proceedings of ASM Materials and Processes for Medical Devices, Palm Desert, Sept. 23-25, 2007
- Kruglick, Cohen, and Bang, “EFAB Technology and Applications”, The MEMS Handbook, Second Edition, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, 2006
- Cohen and Wooden, “Monolithic 3-D Microfabrication of Mechanisms With Multiple Independently-Moving Parts”, Proceedings of IMECE2005:2005 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Nov. 2005, Orlando
- Brown et al., “Characteristics of Microfabricated Rectangular Coax in the Ka Band”, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 40, No. 5, March 5, 2004.
- The MEMS Handbook, CRC Press, 2000 (co-author)
- Cohen, “3-D Micromachining by Electrochemical Fabrication”, Micromachine Devices, Mar. 1999
- Cohen et al., “EFAB: Rapid, Low-Cost Desktop Micromachining of High Aspect Ratio True 3-D MEMS”, 12th IEEE International Microelectromechanical Systems Conference, 1999, Technical Digest, IEEE
- Cohen et al, “EFAB: Batch Production of Functional, Fully-Dense Metal parts with Micron-Scale Features”, Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium 1998, Proceedings, UT Austin
- Rapid Prototyping Report—The Newsletter of the Desktop Manufacturing Industry, (June 1991-October 1992), and The Rapid Prototyping Directory, CAD/CAM Publishing, Inc.
- Rapid Prototyping and Manufacturing, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, 1992 (co-author)
- Cohen, “Anti-Pinhole Imaging”, Optical Acta, vol. 29, no. 1 (1982)