Name: Kyle Kidd
Major: B.S. Management Science, 1995
Currently Working at: Deloitte Consulting LLP
I work with clients to help them optimize their supply chains. This means driving benefits through lower inventory, lower operating costs, and higher customer service. My projects have involved a wide variety of specific initiatives but a lot of them focus on:
- Improving forecast accuracy through the use of advanced mathematical models and process improvements
- Improving inventory planning through statistical calculations based on known variability
- Improving how companies allocate supply to forecasts (master production planning, distribution planning, shop floor scheduling)
- Lowering total landed cost of a product by calculating the trade-offs of different scenarios and considering the balance of production, inventory, transportation, and other costs
- Determining the optimal distribution network based on the cost trade-offs of different scenarios
Most of my work has been for large consumer products companies like Tropicana, Frito-Lay, Kraft, and Heinz.
I would absolutely recommend management science as a major. Most of my work falls directly in the sweet spot of what management xcience is all about - using math to solve business problems. Management science will give you a skill set to know how to calculate and model complex situations to drive tangible, real value which is very important - especially in this economic environment.