Thanks to gifts from the W.W. Caruth Jr. Foundation and the Hillcrest foundation, and other generous donors, work begins this week on a new building for the SMU School of Engineering. The original Caruth Hall, built in 1948, will be replaced by a beautiful and greatly expanded Caruth Hall, which will house the EMIS Department and its faculty. This four-story structure will contain a complex of new classrooms, research institutes, meeting spaces, and an auditorium. The two wings will envelop an outside amphitheater for school and campus-wide events.
The building complete the Engineering quadrangle, which includes the Embrey Engineering building and the Junkins Engineering Building. It will be LEED certified, like Embrey, and be much larger than the current structure.