Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
B.S., Civil Engineering, IAU, Tehran, 2009; M.S., Civil Engineering (Structural), Tarbiat Moallem University, Tehran, 2011; Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Central Florida, 2018
Dr. Aghagholizadeh’s main research interest is on the seismic response of yielding structures coupled with rocking walls (the shear wall is allowed to pivot about its base rather than acting as a fixed base wall). This topic is of major significance in the design of tall moment-resisting buildings. Utilization of this structural system can help reduce maximum story displacements, prevent weak story failure and minimize residual deformation of the structure.
He is also interested in topics of Structural dynamics, Earthquake engineering, Structural health monitoring, Sustainability and resilience for urban infrastructure and Finite element analysis.
Selected Research Research Publications
• Makris, N. and Aghagholizadeh, M. (2019), ”The Effect of Supplemental Hysteretic and Viscous Damping on the Rocking Response of Free-Standing Columns”, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE. 145(5) - 04019028.
• Aghagholizadeh, M. and Makris, N. (2018), ”Earthquake Response Analysis of a Yielding Structure Coupled with a Vertically Restrained Rocking Wall”, Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics. 47(15) - pp 2965–2984.
• Aghagholizadeh, M. and Makris, N. (2017), ”Seismic Response of a Yielding Structure Coupled with a Rocking Wall”, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 144(2) - 04017196.
• Makris, N. and Aghagholizadeh, M. (2017), ”The dynamics of an elastic structure coupled with a rocking wall”, Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics, 46(6) - pp 945–962.
• Aghagholizadeh, M. and Massumi, A. (2016), ”A new method to assess damage to RCMRFs from period elongation and Park–Ang damage index using IDA”, International Journal of Advanced Structural Engineering, 8(3) - pp 243-–252.
• Aghagholizadeh, M. and Catbas, F. N. (2015), ”A Review of Model Updating Methods for Civil Infrastructure Systems”, Computational Techniques for Civil and Structural Engineering, Saxe-Coburg Publications, Stirlingshire, UK, Chapter 4, pp 83-99.
• Aghagholizadeh, M. and Makris, N (2018), ”Seismic Response of Yielding Frames Coupled With Restrained Rocking Walls”, 16th European Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Thessaloniki, Greece.
• Aghagholizadeh, M. and Makris, N. (2018), ”Dynamic response of inelastic frames coupled with vertically restrained rocking walls.”, Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference, ASCE (EMI 2018), Cambridge, MA.
• Makris, N and Aghagholizadeh, M. (2017), ”Earthquake Protection of a Yielding Frame with a Rocking Wall.”, International Workshop on Performance-Based Seismic Design of Structures (PESDES 2017), eds.: Beskos, D., Zhou, Y., Qian, J, and Lu, X., Tongji University, Shanghai, China.
• Makris, N. and Aghagholizadeh, M. (2017), ”Earthquake Response of a Yielding Frame Coupled with a Rocking Wall.” Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference, ASCE (EMI 2017), San Diego, California.
• Aghagholizadeh, M. and Makris, N. (2017), ”The Dynamics of a Structure Coupled with a Rocking Wall”, EERI 69th Annual Meeting, Portland, Oregon.
• Aghagholizadeh, M. and Massumi, A. (2012), ”Relation between Dynamic Characteristics and Damage Index of RC-MRFs Using Non-Linear Incremental Dynamic Analyses”, Proceedings of the 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering (15WCEE), Lisbon, Portugal.