Visioneering is a group activity, with a fun, competitive spirit, for middle school students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grades. The event includes the following:
- The morning starts with an exciting opening session in McFarlin Auditorium, which includes a short talk from a professional working in a STEM field.
- Next is an authentic engineering design competition where teams of students move to classrooms across campus to collaborate on a specific problem related to real world issues. Each team is paired with a mentor who is either an upper level SMU Lyle School student, faculty or a professional working in a field of engineering.
- At the end of the challenge each mentor will judge two other teams' final design projects.
- All students are required to participate in the presentation.
- Judges' forms are collected, and students return to McFarlin Auditorium for snacks and an engineering expo presented by our sponsors. Companies showcase the latest technologies, projects, and more.
- Once the judging forms have been tabulated, we end the day with an awards ceremony where teams are recognized for outstanding execution of one of the design challenge elements.
Team registration will open here on this page soon. Please send an email to email@example.com to be added to our email list.
See what others are saying about Visioneering!
"This is an awesome event that really stretched our kids to think outside the box. Thank you for the opportunity!” - Teacher Comment
“This is one of the BEST opportunities I have ever witnessed. What an experience!” - Teacher Comment
“The best characteristic about this event is that, within 90 minutes, the students experience a complete complex solving project and meet a lot of engineers.” - Mentor