Below are useful links and helpful information for teaching courses with distance enrollment. Faculty can receive additional support for teaching and exam submission from the DE Help Desk.
We ensure that all distance students and instructors have access to recorded lectures. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have issues accessing the taped content. Students who are NOT enrolled in your distance section will not be allowed access to the recordings via the file server without your express written permission. Please note that we can only grant access for the entire semester, and not for a single lecture.
OIT currently supports a video distribution system and incorporates recorded lectures within Canvas, in addition to other current methods of delivering content to students. For any questions regarding content and video uploading, please email email@example.com. For help with Canvas, its operation and training, please email the OIT Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All distance students are required to submit a Site Coordinator Form each semester. Distance students are offered three (3) options for proctored exams.
- On-campus with class: This option is at your discretion and is subject to available space
- On-campus with DE Help: When space permits, we proctor exams M-F, 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Off-campus with site coordinator: We vet and record proctor information, as well as disseminate and collect exams from proctors
Have questions? We are available between 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, to assist you. Please feel free to email us or call 214-768-1260.
DE staff members serve as a liaison between instructors and students’ proctors. Please send your exams to us at least 48 business hours in advance. This lead time allows us to prepare the exams for delivery to proctors and advise you of any issues we foresee. Exams submitted after 3:30 p.m. for same-day distribution may not be processed until the following business day. Please do not send an exam in response to a previously closed ticket.
Once completed exams are returned to the DE office, we will upload them to Box so you can retrieve them at your convenience. We’ll send you a link when the first exam has been uploaded, along with instructions for how to access Box. DE staff members can also return graded exams directly to your distance students. Simply scan the graded course work and send it to us at email@example.com, and we’ll return them within 48 hours.
Specific exam submission instructions for faculty:
- Go to our Online Support Center and log in with your SMU ID and password
- From the main support page, select the 'Lyle Distance Ed' tile
- Select 'Faculty Exam Submission'
- Complete the form by filling in the required fields (include specific instructions that must be provided to exam proctors)
- Click ‘Select File’ to attach and upload your exam. It is recommended that you use a PDF file format
- Click 'Save' to submit the Faculty Exam form (You will receive an automatic ticket notification to your SMU email)
Logging in: try using SMU\Your ID# as username and your SMU password
Uploading file attachment: try using an alternate browser (Firefox or Google Chrome are recommended)
Exam retrieval: After the proctors have returned the completed exams, you will receive a link to your SMU email, allowing access to a secure directory where you can download them for grading.