Computer Science is a major that forces students to think differently than most. By tapping into both the analytical and creative sides of the brain, Computer Science teaches students to find a balance between logically being able to break down complex problems and innovatively bringing to fruition a unique vision. Not only are the skills students will learn intellectually satisfying, but they explore the technology-based infrastructure that surrounds us daily.
Every technological advancement within our lifetime is going to involve Computer Science at one level or another. We provide Lyle students with comprehensive technical instruction along with professional skills to become a part of this dynamic field. In addition to the personal and intellectual satisfaction that comes with this degree, the job security that stems from a Computer Science education is another huge benefit. According to the U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics, software development is one of the top 10 fastest-growing occupations. Demand for software developers is projected to grow 21 percent by 2028, much faster than the average for all other professions.
There are many reasons to come to SMU Lyle for your Computer Science degree. Below are testimonials from our students:
- “Lyle provides the project-based engineering curriculum of a technical college with a liberal arts background.”
- “SMU is flexible with double majors/minors, allowing a student to have a truly interdisciplinary education that augments their technical Computer Science degree.”
- “Opportunities for research are only growing at Lyle. I found the prospect of working for the Darwin Deason Institute for Cyber Security or the SMU Artificial Intelligence Lab very appealing.”
- “A small private college setting allows for closer connections with wonderful and accessible faculty and other students.”
- “SMU is just miles away from some of the biggest companies in the world, and with a close-knit alumni community, it’s a great place for academic and professional development.”
- “SMU’s degree programs give students the option to pursue specializations that are of a particular interest to them, giving great flexibility in choosing classes and topics of study and research.”
- “At Lyle, you're not just a statistic. Professors know you by name and truly care about you. I’ve had professors meet with me over the weekend and stay an hour after class to help with projects.”