Graduation is an exciting time for students! All students will be given an “expected graduation term” when they enter SMU. If the student’s expected graduation term changes, they need to contact the Office of Undergraduate Advising to let them know about the change.
Steps to file for graduation:
- Complete the Application for Candidacy to Graduate (ACG) in my.smu.edu
- Come to Caruth Hall, Suite 253, to pick up your blue degree plan.
- Complete your blue degree plan with blue or black ink. Use your DPR as your guide. Write the course prefix and number next to Common/University Curriculum requirements and Advanced Major Elective requirements.
- Meet with your faculty advisor to review your blue degree plan.
- Complete any exit interviews required by your department.
Applying for graduation doesn’t have to be a complicated process! Our office offers graduation workshops for students to help them understand their degree requirements, how to fill out forms and petitions, and how to file for graduation.
December 18, Friday: December Rotunda Recessional
December 19, Saturday: December Commencement Convocation. Official close of term and conferral of degrees
May 14, Friday: Baccalaureate
May 15, Saturday: May Commencement Convocation. Official close of term and conferral of degrees
SMU Register’s office is responsible for organizing and executing the All-SMU Commencement Ceremonies. There are two graduations, one in May and one in December. Students may choose one, and only one, to attend. SMU Registrar’s office also has resources on regalia rentals, diploma information and event details.
All policies regarding graduation can be found in the Undergraduate Catalog.
Lyle also holds a commencement ceremony for students who have graduated with an engineering degree. Students may participate in this ceremony in addition to the All-SMU Commencement. The Lyle ceremony is only held in May, on the same day as the All-SMU graduation. Students who are applying for May graduation can indicate their interest in participating in the Lyle ceremony on my.smu.edu. If an August or December graduate wants to join in the Lyle May ceremony, they will need to submit a Commencement Participation Form. Email UGLyleAdvising@smu.edu to request the form.