DALLAS (SMU) – SMU’s MBA Entrepreneurship Club hosted the 14th Annual Business Plan Competition at the James M. Collins Executive Education Center on Friday, February 20, 2015. The competition saw entries from SMU’s best and brightest innovators in the Cox School of Business and the Lyle School of Engineering, with concepts ranging from a mobile application designed to help asthmatics to an automated finger nail painting machine.
“Because of the unbridled enthusiasm of Cox and Lyle competitors, we are well on our way toward cementing SMU as one of nation's elite entrepreneurial incubators,” remarked Mac Helms, MBA Candidate, Class of 2016. “I can say proudly that SMU is becoming a focal point for entrepreneurial activity in the Southwest. ‘Differentiate or die!’ is the mantra we've adopted. It definitely defined the strategies for this year's event.”
|2015 SMU Business Plan Competition Winners: BioLum
The winners of the 2015 SMU Business Plan Competition:
- BioLum Sciences is a revolutionary smartphone–based imaging system that can detect the presence of asthma in less than a minute and reduce the current 40% misdiagnosis of asthma in the U.S.
- Contenders: Edward Allegro - BA Economics/Pre-Med, Jack Reynolds - BBA Finance, Miguel Quimbar - BBA Accounting
- ACME Dental Plaster is creating a state of the art dental plaster mixing system to save time, add value and increase the productivity of every dental lab and office in the US.
- Contenders: Brandon Wesley - MBA ‘15, Lovis Kauf - MS Engineering ‘14
- 3rd Place - $ 4,525
- The Boarding Pass is dedicated to making pet boarding more convenient, offering pet owners a one stop shop solution for booking kennels with pet pick-up and delivery services from airport parking locations.
- Contenders: Erica Minnich - MBA ‘16, Luz Espinoza - MBA ‘16
Special thanks to the 2015 judges for their time and support:
- Abe Minkara - Business Development Director, Mark Cuban Companies
- Bill Helms - Vice Chairman, BBVA Compass
- Jeff Williams - Managing Director, Covera Ventures
- Joel Fontenot - Managing Partner, Trailblazer Capital
- John Davis - General Counsel, Chief Legal Officer, SRS Distribution
- Samantha Colletti - Vice President, Silicon Valley Bank
Watch for investor pitches on YouTube, https://www.youtube.com/user/SMUBPC/, Friday, March 6th.
MBA Candidate, Class of 2016
SMU Cox School of Business