Librarians are available to consult with researchers who need help developing data management plans. These plans are now required by many funding agencies at the time the grant proposal is submitted.
The DMPTool is a freely available online application to support the creation of data management plans. SMU is an institutional member so you can log in with your SMU credentials. The DMPTool provides a checklist for creating a plan that complies with funder requirements.
Basic Components of a Data Management Plan
- Types of data to be collected
- Standards to be applied to data and metadata
- Legal, ethical, and security issues affecting the data
- Policies for access and sharing (including intellectual property
- Plans for long-term archiving and preserving access or destruction of data
- Policies for re-use and re-distribution (how can people use the data you will share - if applicable)
ICPSR Framework for Creating a Data Management plan
Research Data Management Research Guide
Briney, K. (2015). Data management for researchers : organize, maintain and share your data for research success. Exeter, UK: Pelagic Publishing.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.