The 2016 Texas Legal Scholars Workshop
2016 Texas Legal Scholars Workshop
Would you like early-stage feedback on a research idea? Or late-stage feedback on an article ready for submission? Or something in between? Your colleagues at SMU and Houston invite you to join us for the second annual Texas Legal Scholars Workshop, to be held on August 26-27, 2016, at the SMU Dedman School of Law in Dallas, Texas. The Texas Legal Scholars Workshop provides an intimate setting for early-career scholars (those with less than 10 years in a full-time faculty position) to receive feedback on an idea, work-in-progress, or a polished draft. We welcome legal scholars from all disciplines.
At the Workshop, each author will present a 5-10 minute synopsis of his or her paper, followed by 15-20 minutes of comments by a primary commenter, followed by an open discussion with other attendees.
The workshop will give participants the chance to meet other early-career scholars in Texas, share feedback on research, and enjoy a few social events. There is no registration fee. Attendees are responsible for their own hotel and travel expenses, but SMU will pay for meals, including a hosted dinner at a restaurant on Friday night.
- Who: Scholars with less than 10 years in a full-time law faculty position (including tenure-track, non-tenure-track, clinical, and legal writing positions) at a Texas law school.
- When: The workshop will be on Friday August 26th & Saturday August 27th, 2016. The Friday session will run from approximately 1:00 pm – 6:00 pm, and the Saturday session will run from approximately 9:00 am – 5:00 pm. (These times may be adjusted slightly depending upon the number of attendees.)
- Registration: The deadline for registering is Wednesday, June 1st. Please register online. When registering, please provide a title for your paper and specify the topic from the pull-down menu. If you have a paper to upload, please do so (we understand that participants may not be able to upload a draft at the time of registration). Updated drafts may be posted at the same web address as your paper progresses.
- Each attendee is also expected to serve as the primary commenter on at least one paper. We will assign attendees to papers once we have a final list of participants and topics.
- Where: Southern Methodist University, Dedman School of Law. (Map to campus can be found here)
- Format: The author will present a 5-10 minute synopsis of his or her paper, identifying specific areas for feedback. Then, a primary commenter will speak for another 15-20 minutes. After that, other attendees may take turns commenting. Each session will last no more than 60 minutes.
- Hotel: There are several hotels nearby. We have reserved a block of rooms at the hotel closest to the Law School, the Hotel Lumen. It is a short walk to the Law School and is close to several shops and restaurants
Phone Hotel Reservations - Call 1 (800) 908-1140 and ask for the Texas Legal Scholars Room Block.
Deadline for making Reservations - August 3, 2016