SMU Dedman School of Law's Tsai Center for Law, Science and Innovation is a research-focused academic center exploring how law and policy affect scientific research and discovery as well as the development and commercialization of new technologies. The Tsai Center also explores the converse—how scientific discoveries and new technologies affect ethics, society, private industry, and governmental institutions and agencies. The Tsai Center presents education programming, facilitates academic research, and provides educational opportunities that engage students and the academic and business communities interested in law, science and innovation. In short, the Tsai Center exists to engage the public, scholars, students, scientists, policy.
The Tsai Center is led by two Co-Directors, Profs. W. Keith Robinson and David O. Taylor, whose teaching and scholarship focus on intellectual property law, including patent law. Prof. Robinson and Prof. Taylor collaborate with an Executive Board, Affiliated Faculty, and Adjunct Faculty.
Professor Robinson teaches and writes in the areas of property, intellectual property, patent law and technology law. His current research focuses on the impact of judicial decisions and administrative patent policy on emerging technology. Read full bio.
David O. Taylor is an Associate Professor at the SMU Dedman School of Law in Dallas, Texas. He also founded and currently serves as a Co-Director of the school’s Tsai Center for Law, Science and Innovation. Read full bio.
- Lackland H. Bloom, JR, Professor of Law (Copyright Law)
- Jennifer M. Collins, Judge James Noel Dean and Professor of Law (ex officio)
- Nathan Cortez, Associate Dean for Research and Adelfa Botello Callejo Endowed Professor of Law in Leadership and Latino Studies (Health Law and FDA law).
- Jeffrey M. Gaba, M.D. Anderson Foundation Endowed Professor in Health Law (Environmental Law)
- Thomas W. Mayo, Altshuler University Distinguished Teaching Professor and Associate Professor of Law (Health Law; Bioethics)
- W. Keith Robinson, Altshuler Distinguished Teaching Professor and Associate Professor of Law (Intellectual Property; Intellectual Property and Business Organizations)
- Meghan J. Ryan, Associate Professor of Law (Science and the Law)
- David O. Taylor, Associate Professor of Law (Patent Law; Selected Topics in Intellectual Property)
Natalie Thompson Greco '05
Tsai Center Director of Programs and Operations
- 2015-2016: Alex Bridge, Kristen Zahnow
- 2016-2017: Michael Pomeroy, Josh Smith, Hao " Jimmy" Wu, Tiffany York
- 2017-2018: Paul Abelkop, Aly Conwell, Daniel Dower, Tiffany York
- 2018-2019: Paul Abelkop, Elizabeth Chung, Richard Cochrane, Jennifer Nguyen, Thomas Tassin
- 2019-2020: Elizabeth Chung, Tucker Davison, Carter Kristek, Nolan McQueen, Morgan Mendicino, Jason Spotts, Thomas Tassin