SMU Dedman School of Law's Tsai Center for Law, Science and Innovation is a research-focused academic center exploring how law and policy affect scientific research and discovery as well as the development and commercialization of new technologies. The Tsai Center also explores the converse—how scientific discoveries and new technologies affect ethics, society, private industry, and governmental institutions and agencies. The Tsai Center presents education programming, facilitates academic research, and provides educational opportunities that engage students and the academic and business communities interested in law, science and innovation. In short, the Tsai Center exists to engage the public, scholars, students, scientists, policy.
The Tsai Center is led by its Director, Prof. David O. Taylor, whose teaching and scholarship focus on intellectual property law, including patent law. Prof. Taylor collaborates with an Executive Board, Affiliated Faculty, and Adjunct Faculty.
David O. Taylor is a Professor at the SMU Dedman School of Law in Dallas, Texas. He also founded and currently serves as Director of the school’s Tsai Center for Law, Science and Innovation. Read full bio.
- Lackland H. Bloom, JR, Larry and Jane Harlan Senior Research Fellow and Professor of Law (Copyright Law)
- Jennifer M. Collins, Judge James Noel Dean and Professor of Law (ex officio)
- Nathan Cortez, Adelfa Botello Callejo Endowed Professor of Law in Leadership and Latino Studies and Professor of Law (Health Law and FDA law)
- Chris Jenks, Director of the Criminal Clinic and Professor of Law (Technology and Armed Conflict)
- Orly Mazur. Associate Professor of Law (Intersection of Tax Law and Technology)
- Carla L. Reyes, Assistant Professor of Law (Law and Technology as it relates to Blockchain Technology and Artificial Intelligence)
- Meghan J. Ryan, Associate Dean for Research, Altshuler Distinguished Teaching Professor, and Professor of Law (Science and the Law)
- David O. Taylor, Robert G. Storey Distinguished Faculty Fellow and Professor of Law (Patent Law; Patent Litigation; Selected Topics in Intellectual Property)
Natalie Thompson Greco '05
Tsai Center Director of Programs and Operations
- 2015-2016: Alex Bridge, Kristen Zahnow
- 2016-2017: Michael Pomeroy, Josh Smith, Hao " Jimmy" Wu, Tiffany York
- 2017-2018: Paul Abelkop, Aly Conwell, Daniel Dower, Tiffany York
- 2018-2019: Paul Abelkop, Elizabeth Chung, Richard Cochrane, Jennifer Nguyen, Thomas Tassin
- 2019-2020: Elizabeth Chung, Tucker Davison, Carter Kristek, Nolan McQueen, Morgan Mendicino, Jason Spotts, Thomas Tassin
- 2020-2021: Carter Kristek, Nolan McQueen, Morgan Mendicino, Jason Spotts, Elizabeth Nevins, Marisa Thompson, Dylan Freeman, Jacob Young
- 2021-2022: Dylan Freeman, Elizabeth Nevins, Marisa Thompson, Jacob Young, Erin Parker, Quin Prchal, Ryan Vayner, Nicky Wang